Question on Beyerdynamic 880 Pro

htloren

Tele-Meister
Hi all,

Wanted to ask about the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro. I am looking to use for mixing. I recently got the DT770 Pro and love it. The DT770 Pro's sound stage is amazing. I can literally hear definition and panning and not just like a left and right thing. Really impressed. I got the 770 Pro 80 ohms version which means it has a bit of bass extension. The idea was this was set was for tracking. For critical listening, I am hoping the 880 Pro would be the ticket.

Wondered if the 880 Pro's have the same amazing sound stage as the 770 Pro? Are they better for mixing and critical listening than the DT770 Pro by a mile? Flatter and truer than the 770 Pro and 990 Pro's? Do they translate to a mix better than the DT770 and DT990 Pro's? I know vs the 990's it will be subjective but I read somewhere the 990's are more pleasing and has more bass. That the 880's are more balanced?

I know the 880's are semi open back and the 990's are full open backs. For open back, I have a Shure SRH1440's that I find I have to tone down the high's with a bit of EQ. Also the sound stage is not as impressive as the DT770's. To me the DT770's sound 3D to me where the 1440 sound 2D. I mean I am exaggerating but the idea is there.

So to summarize, am looking for the 880 Pro's to have good mix translation, no need to EQ (like the 770 Pros), has the sound stage of the 770 Pro, flatter than the 770 and 990 so better to do critical listening with.

I believe the 880 Pro comes in both 250 and 600 ohms? Which one is better? I use an RME Babyface Pro then SPDIF out to a Presonus HP4. Will this be enough juice for a 600 ohm 880 Pro? For my main reference monitors, I use Yamaha HS8's with the matching sub, HS8S.

Just being impressed with the 770, am ready to pull the trigger on the 880 Pro. Just need that extra little push. :)

Thanks in advance!

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you're gonna start spending real money on headphones, I personally like Sennheiser 650s ... https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650
Open back, 300 ohms (my Apollo drives them fine) and definitely one of the 'industry standards'. There is a company called Mass Drop that orders in bulk, re-brands them and they sell for around 1/2 the price of the labeled Senn 650s. The only catch is that they don't ship until there's a certain amount of pre-orders. Generally 5 weeks to two months. IMO - totally worth the wait ... https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/reviews#reviews
*I think they're in stock currently and would ship relatively soon.

htloren

Tele-Meister
If you're gonna start spending real money on headphones, I personally like Sennheiser 650s ... https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650
Open back, 300 ohms (my Apollo drives them fine) and definitely one of the 'industry standards'. There is a company called Mass Drop that orders in bulk, re-brands them and they sell for around 1/2 the price of the labeled Senn 650s. The only catch is that they don't ship until there's a certain amount of pre-orders. Generally 5 weeks to two months. IMO - totally worth the wait ... https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/reviews#reviews
*I think they're in stock currently and would ship relatively soon.

Thanks! Will check it out!

matman14

Tele-Meister
Just bear in mind that a lot of these "pro" or "higher end" headphones like the 880s and the ones mentioned above are 300 ohms, power hungry, and need a headphone out with enough oomph to drive them. If your interface headphone out doesn't the sound in the phones is likely to have muffled highs and be very quiet.

Last edited:

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have the 770 pro 80 ohm I like the a lot.....well since I got hearing aids they don't see much action....but I can tune a guitar by ear again or is that hearing aids