Question of Weight

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by PhilippeZ, Feb 26, 2020.

1. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

I just bought a “non-original” 1968 Telecaster: Refretted neck, refinished paint and recreated neck pickup area after a humbucker modification. Only pickups and electronics seems to be original. I’m not a collector, so the first thing that interesting me is the playability and the sound of my new guitar. I owned it for few days, but my first impressions are that the pickups are not as powerful and precise than the BKP of my Esquire but the 68’s are plenty of harmonics and a nice "dirty vintage sound". The neck seems very comfortable too.

The question that interesting me right now is the weight of my new Tele. I weigh it at 2,98kg so 6,57 lbs. Do you know such light vintage Telecaster and how can be explained the difference with other Telecaster weighed at more than 7lbs? The body of mine seems to be made of swamp ash, which is a light wood, is it the usual material for body in 60s? I don’t think that the body mods change for a large part the weight. Do you think the body is the original one (period-correct)? Is anybody knows what the marking on the heel means?

However, the very light weight is a very nice surprise for playability of this guitar.

Please find pictures of the guitar components and of the repair of the body. Let me know your opinion about this Telly.

Thank you very much in advance.

Philippe

Attached Files:

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Bonjour, Phillippe, welcome aboard. It looks like a fine Tele. The weight is mostly due to the wood the body is made from. You may just have a light piece of wood. These days, light weight guitars are popular, many of them have a sweet tone. Plus, there's less strain on your shoulder.

I think the stamp on the neck indicates that it was built in October of 1968, the stamp looks legitimate. You may want to experiment with adjusting the pickup height, to see if you can get the tone you want. Post us a picture when you get it back together.

NewKid likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I am no expert on whether it's the original body, but a swamp ash body that weighs 3.5 lbs, while not common, is not unheard of.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Telecasters vary regularly from 6lb to 9lb.

Why are you surprised that two Teles would weigh .5 lb different?

I don’t really follow.

Chipss36 and igor5 like this.
  5. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

I didn't think that it could made a such difference with same variety of wood. It seems enormous in term of density. I was simply surprises in comparison to my MiM Classic 50 Esquire. Thanks for your answers.

6. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Very nice weight. You got lucky

7. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

You can always sell it to me!

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah fairly rare but not impossible.
    Good find.

Hard to see the tiny pics though so I'm only commenting on the 6.57lbs weight.

9. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

Yes, the feather weight is a really appreciable quality. It’s the strong point of this Telecaster. I was a bit disappointed by the pickups especially for the neck one, which is not much better than the Squier Classic vibe one (I consider that the Classic Vibe PU are very good). By the way, I have a doubt on the « period-correct » of this pickup because of the plastic insulation of the wires. I´ll add a pictures tomorrow. The seller said me that the change of this components took place in 1968-1969. Is it right?

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Chipss36 likes this.
  11. Adam Wolfaardt

Plastic covered wire is correct for '68. Are you in Paris?

12. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

I’m from East of France near Dijon. But France is a small country, Paris is only 2hours by train.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have a 6.5 pound MIM 50's classic. Ash, maple, same wood as yours. I have a 50's Classic Esquire, weighs around 7.5 pounds, and that is missing a pickup! So yes, this isn't impossible.
    Nice looking guitar!

14. Adam Wolfaardt

If you come to Paris bring you tele with you. I'm always happy to meet a tele fan. :)

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Winds on pickups went down progressively - 60s pickups are noted for nice clarity and sparkle. Note the 1 meg pots of that era make the sound a little thinner and treblier. 250k volume pot would make it a bit fuller but they're not high output pickups.

landofahhs likes this.
  16. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

Thanks. I confess that I'm thinking to change PUs for Bare Knucle ones. I know that it could be a sacrilege but I don't want this Tele to hang on a wall... The picture of the PUs.

Attached Files:

17. Adam Wolfaardt

You shouldn't need to change the pickups. The old ones sound fabulous unless there's something wrong with them

18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Ash can be light. It can also be dang heavy!

Fretting out likes this.
  19. PhilippeZ

PhilippeZ TDPRI Member

You are right Adam, changing the pickups is a non-sense on a vintage guitar. I own this Tele since only one weeks, I must play with it and make it mine. Thanks for the advice. DDE9F938-90C9-455B-A454-5F219C7A07BE.jpeg

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  20. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Great looking Telecaster. I had a '68 that was that light. And mine had one of the best sounding neck pick ups I've ever heard. Try lowering the pick ups some if you have them close to the strings. When you hit the right spot you will know.

Seattlesurfer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.