Question for you Modeling Gurus Advice needed

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Whoa Tele, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Mornin' Folks. I'm looking at picking up a Headrush FRFR 108 to use for a duo gig. My plan is to run my tele/Tech 21 Flyrig into the headrush then run the XLR out to the PA and blend in my signal with the acoustic player. This way I will also have a monitor at my feet. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if there is a better option than the Flyrig. I like a pretty simple setup (no menus) so I've been looking at the new Strymon Iridium as well. Any other options? Thanks

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Take a look at the Mooer 'Truck' series (Red or Black). Same size and roughly the same price point as the Flyrig, only with more and better effects and a tuner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've also got what's called 'Preset' mode, which allows you to set up different effects chains and call them up by hitting one switch. And they're built, pardon the expression, like a truck.

I had a Flyrig Plexi and got rid of it for the Red Truck, which I've still got. You can get a lot more out of one of these for about the same amount of dough as a Flyrig.

- D

3. Whoa Tele

Thanks.Does the Mooer have amp modeling or is just an effects unit? If so, what amp(s) does it emulate.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No modeling per se. It's similar to the Flyrig in that the 'Drive' control emulates a medium-gain amp, sort of a Marshall Plexi sound. I used mine with the Drive for the 'amp' sound and the Distortion for solos, but I also swapped them for a second tone using Distortion as the base tone and Drive as a boost. Sounds pretty good both ways, actually.

And the 'Pure Boost' is just that - a clean boost, which sounds pretty good for clean Tele tones, gives you a little more heft going into the amp.

If you're looking for actual amp modeling, the Mooer GE-200 does a nice job for not a lot of money. You can pick them up used pretty cheap, and the feature set increases dramatically.

Or for just over 100 bucks you can get the GE-100. I've never tried one, but the feature set on that one looks real good for the money (80 amp models, tuner and a looper, which the Flyrig doesn't have).

(Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated with Mooer, but I do own the Red Truck, a GE-200 and a GE-300, and their quality is seriously underrated IMO.)

Good luck, hope I didn't throw too much info at you.

- D

5. Whoa Tele

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I will check into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.