Question for true fuzz afficionados

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gmm52, May 21, 2020.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have many fuzzes. Possibly too many fuzzes, if such a predicament exists outside thought experiments.

I now have, winging its way to me, that T-Shirt.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I went “Fuzz crazy” for a while and this is the extent of my fuzz’s, then I came to my senses

025DEB86-2ADF-4D89-91DE-73D1717BFD2C.jpeg

BorderRadio and neilybob100 like this.
  3. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I've dipped my toe into the fuzz world.

First got a silicone Suhr Rufus Reloaded Fuzz which has a great various last year. The Octavia function is epic.

Then I got a Thorpyfx The Veteran silicone pedal which is two pedals in one. A fuzz and a Rangemaster.

For now I'm happy but I do wonder about germanium fuzz's.

Josh from JHS with his Legends of Fuzz series has got me GASing.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

It’s funny you mention the new Jhs series nothing really got me excited and then I saw he’s doing the “super fuzz”
    I think that’s going to be my next pedal

I’m pretty much at capacity when it comes to fuzz but there’s still room for maybe a couple, I’d like to try some sort of octave fuzz but haven’t made my mind up yet

neilybob100 likes this.
  5. hecubus

hecubus Tele-Meister

Do you prefer a hammer or a wrench?

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

6. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Not an aficionado, but I’ve tried some fuzz pedals and currently still have a SunFace Red Dot Germanium on my board.
    Others that I’ve tried: London Fuzz Germanium - great wooly fuzz, SUF Ramshead silicon - nailed Gilmour’s fuzz tones, SunFace BC109 also good for Gilmour. Also tried a Catalinbread Fuzzrite - couldn’t make it work, but also a good pedal. That’s the fun of fuzz they are all different. Germanium just suited me for vintage tones and the clean up is better then silicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not a TGP level fuzz afficionado but I play one on TV.

transistors are just a part and ge is only better if you prefer the thing it does better.
    What si does better can't quite be matched by ge.

You need both but remember good vs mediocre is as much a factor as si vs ge.

8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

It's easier to find low-hFE transistors in the 'power transistor' category. Those big ol' TO-3 and TO-220 packaged transistors often have hFE down in the 50-70s, and they often have higher parasitic capacitance due to their size, which makes them smoother. TIP29 Fuzz -> https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=114343.20

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I don’t care. I’m doing my own DIY Fuzz and I’ve tried a bunch of different $0.10 Si transistors with hFe ~= 260 and as long as they’re biased right they all work fine. $50 up charges for different transistors in boutique fuzzes is not something I need.

If you want to smooth out your Fuzz turn your amp up louder so it compresses more and rounds off the edges of the Fuzz. If you want your Fuzz harder edged and raspier run the amp cleaner. That makes a way bigger difference than transistors.

And if You could play like Jimi no one is ever going to say you’d be better with different transistors.

I have a whole bunch of big power switching transistors in big packages too. Sounds like a fun experiment. I don’t even think I can test the hFE of them with my tester!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Fretting out and neilybob100 like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Both have their place.

Fretting out likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Even Jimi quickly moved on from GEs to SI. I had always heard and believed GE was the only way to get the FF magic.. another myth blown for me.. Still learning my way around fuzz. Thanks for posting this.

12. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Intriguing. I had never heard that.

13. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the very interesting replies. Yes, I have officially joined the ranks of fuzz appreciators. I didn't understand and thus did not get along well with fuzz pedals for the first 30 years of my playing and I sold a few in the early days that I regret. I've acquired four in the last little while (three Ge and one Si) but it wasn't enough of a sampling to be able to answer the question I asked. I think my potential bias toward Ge has been squelched by the responses.

One thing I've found (and I'd be curious to know if others have the same experience) is that I like some fuzz in front of an amp that is already overdriven to some extent. I cannot get Fuzz to do anything for me on pristine clean amp settings.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  14. Junco Partner

Junco Partner TDPRI Member

I’ve always preferred Si transistor Fuzz Faces to Ge because they have more gain and I like more gain. But as others have said, the differences in behavior in other circuits are not always going to follow the Fuzz Face analogy. I haven’t compared enough Si/Ge versions of any other transistor-based circuits to state a clear preference.

It should also be noted that Ge vs Si diodes will affect a diode-clipped distortion circuit very differently than switching out transistors in a transistor based fuzz. Ge diodes are also not susceptible to the temperamental issues associated with Ge trannies. I do prefer my standard RAT (silicon clipping diodes) to the You Dirty RAT (germanium clipping).

15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I have no idea, but I wanted to chime in that the Affuzzionados would be a great band name.

VintageSG likes this.
  16. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Out of curiosity I googled the word. Only one result, from The Gear Page. The word Fuzz is a bit like word orange, it doesn't seem to lend itself to too many other words.

Another question, one that in theory anyone with an ice bag and a space heater could solve. We've all read that Ge transistors are susceptible to temperature changes, but I've never read even a single description of what way. Do Ge fuzzes sound better when they're warm, or cold?

I'm going to do some experimentation, but thought I'd make the observation that anecdotes on how temperature affects Ge transistors are hard to come by. Also, I discovered Spaceman Fuzzes today. Crazy prices, but they look interesting.

17. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

This one came on my radar recently, but way out of my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I purchased my second fuzz pedal and its an Si fuzz called the Pedal Pawn Fuzz. Its a reproduction of the Cesar Diaz Square Face fuzz SRV used. It will be a while before I can hear it as its in the states and I am not. If I like it the way I suspect I will, I'll make a review video, albeit, a layman's video.

19. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I don’t get along with Germs. I built a fuzz face with some germs a few years back and just never loved it. Took it to a local shop and the guys there plugged it up with a strat and loved it. They assured me it was a good one. It just furthered my belief that it wasn’t for me.

I’ve made a couple muffs and some tonebenders. I think it safe to say that I prefer silicon fuzzes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.