Question for the young guys/gals...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 15, 2019.

1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I was born in 1978 so a little bit older than the target audience for the question. When I first started really discovering and enjoying music for myself, I listened to a lot of Pink Floyd and Led Zep (beforore my time), Metallica, Nick Cave, Beasts of Bourbon (bands who started before my time but were still current in the 90s). The 90s were an incredible time for music and I discovered a lot of bands to love - Young Gods, Sonic Youth, Ministry, Faith No More, Mazzy Star, Prodigy to name a few. At the same time I was finding more older music - Black Sabbath, The Stooges, The Birthday Party, Hendrix, Jean Michel Jarre.

I grew up listening to 80s pop radio and I didn't much like it, but in my 20s I heard more 80s underground/alternative which I really loved - Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Propaganda, as well as reaching back further - The Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Robert Johnson, Eddie Cochran.

I've only listed a few bands here but I heard hundreds (as I'm sure we all have). I think music is about making a personal connection to the audience and it can transcend time and culture. As far as current music goes, I don't listen to as much of it but there are still great bands / acts around. One issue is I have nowhere near as much free time now as I did in my 20s to discover underground music. Second issue is that after listening to hundreds of bands, it is much harder to find something new and different.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I still listen to a lot of the music my dad listened to, and I play "my music" in the car when taking my daughter to school. (If she doesn't like something I change it though :D ) Go figure: she likes the Rolling Stones, I love the Rolling Stones, my dad hated the Rolling Stones. Plus she really seems to dig synthpop. She is 5.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I came of musical age about '72-80.
    There was such a whirlwind of great bands in their prime it was truly mindboggling.
    I have managed to dig back into their roots.
    The journey never ends...

4. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

People have short memories, and they tend to accentuate the positive. Warning: Music landscapes in the rear view mirror contain more crap than it may appear.

Johnny Angel. Yummy Yummy Yummy, I Got Love in my Tummy. And on and on. The fluffy stuff tends to float to the top for a while, then blow away, only to return for an embarrassing stroll down memory lane - in all contexts. Many people like all kinds of culture that doesn't make them think too much. Music that's easy to hum. Comedy shows based on catch phrases. Movies with explosions. It's never the end of the world. It's just the way of the world.

I was born in 1972. My favorites list contains rock and pop from every decade from the 1960s to the present, spread out pretty evenly (though there was a large gap for me in the late 1990s, as grunge decayed, IMO, into falseness).

I won't call out all the 'classic' stuff that to me is it's decade's versions of pop junk, because why wee in someone else's corn flakes? Suffice it to say that the premise of being acclimated to a musical context in which you grow up rings true to me, especially as observed among the grumpiest of my musical peers and friends.

5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I was born in the early/mid 90's so I came into adolescence in the 2000's. My dad primarily listened to the stuff he listed to when he was growing up, so I developed a love for 70's and 80's rock. I listened to some of the then current rock music my friends were listening too but I mostly just enjoyed the stuff I had heard growing up, which kind of set me apart from other kids my age. It definitely helped that I picked up guitar at about the same time and was obsessed with the guitar forward music of my dad's time.

Even though i can't say that i'm getting older, still being in my 20's, over time my musical preferences have broadened quite a bit. I started to develop a love for the 90's rock and punk that my dad never listened to and warmed up to the hard rock from "my time". The last few years though i've started listening to more of the stuff my grandfather was into, being 50's and 60's rock and even a bit of country and blues. Because of my wife I've also started getting into some of the more indie "rock" stuff that has been playing on the "new rock" station in my city. Most of it really isn't "rock" by my definition as there is a lack of guitar in about 50% of it, but a lot of it is catchy and they have good melodies.

What's really interesting is that I have had almost as much of an influence on my dad's musical tastes as he had on me. Over the last 10 years I've gotten my dad into some of the grunge stuff that he really wasn't interested in at that time and he has a surprising amount of early 2000's rock on his mp3 player. His musical tastes have really broadened over time as he even listens to some country and even some of the more catchy popular music these days, which is weird for a guy that was so into guitar music back in the day.

It's very strange when my dad plugs in his phone and a Katy Perry song comes on after the Molly Hatchet tune that played after REO Speedwagon, Garth Brooks, and Five Finger Death Punch.

6. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

What did you like in the 90s? I'm not trying to be argumentative. The sad fact is that I was otherwise engaged and just kind of slept thru the decade musically.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah see all those who keep stating that we all listen to the music of our teens forever- are misinformed.
    I'm technically old enough to be your grandfather, and I listen to alt rock radio.
    I can't stand "classic Rock" radio!

There are a few '60s artists I will put on every year or two, those being Hendrix, Coltrane, uh, hmmm, all African American artists and mostly Jazz.
    No there's also Steve Lacy.
    And maybe Neil Young, but it's been a while since I pulled that old stuff out.
    I'd rather listen to Cowboy Junkies cover Sweet Jane than VU.
    Not that I don't like the old stuff any more, just had enough of it and there's tons of stuff that's newer and also cool, without the sort of old time values much of the classic rock has. Back then a lot was taboo and Rock gave youth a chance to jump up and down about stuff like kissing a girl.

I'm more inclined to listen to music that tries to grapple with deeper issues, and is more in line with the times. Not that the '60s wasn't full of grappling and issues, but I just try to live in today, and face today where we're at here and now.
    Today is pretty interesting!

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hmmm, "otherwise engaged"?
    Peace Corps?
    Military service?

I spent the '90s trying to play "experimental rock/ Jazz/ free music" in NYC but ended up hooked on dope!
    I'd also dropped out of popular culture in the '80s due to what I considered the demise of human culture.

When I got clean in '98 there was all this new music on the radio!
    It was '90s music that carried me through the suicidal depression of getting clean.
    Thank you to all those '90s bands, mostly considered alt Rock AFAIK.
    I liked and still like bands that combined Rock and Hip Hop.

Chris Cornell's bands were the soundtrack to my personal madness, literally making it bearable, when my first though upon waking every day was pretty much how can I kill myself.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    LunarSlingShot and GGardner like this.
  9. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Re: Elvis,, Little Richard said that, "Chuck Berry is the, King of Rock and Roll",

and that he, (Little Richard), is the 'Queen'.

10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Nothing so honorable. Trust me.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The quote I've heard is (smiling broadly) " I am the King AND the Queen of rock n' roll!! " (pause....expression goes deadpan)
    "SHUT UP!!!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.