Question for the young guys/gals...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 15, 2019.

1. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jimmy Page? I'm old enough to remember Patti Page singing 'How Much Is That Doggie In The Window'. I think it's been going downhill since then.

2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

The Who. The Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin. Steely Dan. ZZ Top. Allman Brothers. David Bowie. Neil Young. Bruce Springsteen. Stevie Wonder. The Band. Van Morrison. Fleetwood Mac. Eric Clapton. The Eagles. The Pretenders. R.E.M. U2. Elvis Costello. Tom Petty. The Clash. Dire Straits. Metallica.....

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Elvis said a lot of things later on in his life. When he hit on the music scene, and I was there for it, he didn't even talk much, nor was he quoted with saying much during that time period. All of that angst and explaining your music stuff came along later. In fact all the moaning and groaning about the reason you played this or that mostly came along in the mid sixties and seventies by folk and rock groups. To most of us, it was kind of like listening to a juke box explain why it played the records it did. Elvis was just there to make music and money. He did pretty well at both even though he had to drag the Colonel around like a big sack of cow dung for most of his life.

t guitar floyd and blowtorch like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a sneaking suspicion that Elvis may be a member here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Thank-you...thank-you very much...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep.

And he straight up paid what the IRS said he owed; none of this "hire a fleet of accountants and lawyers to get you out of paying what you owe" crap.

He could also play a mean guitar, despite many people believing it was basically just a prop for him. He never considered himself a player (and you probably wouldn't either, if you had Scotty Moore, James Burton, and Hank Garland playing for you)
    I mean, sure, lots of the Vegas-ey things he played very little, if at all, but

7. Toto'sDad

I've been to Graceland twice. Not a fan journey, just passing through Memphis on a trip to Alabama, and my wife like every woman who can remember seeing Elvis when he was on top, wanted to go there. I enjoyed seeing his home too. It is really strange to view Elvis grave, and look back in your mind to the beginning of it all. I enjoyed the "King" as much as I did anyone else from that era. To be honest by the time the real rock and roll that most of the forum is into came on the scene, I was losing interest in rock. My overall impression of Elvis is that he was a good kid, that got into some things he shouldn't have, but that seems to go with the territory.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree.
    My personal visit was really surreal, my then-wife and I lost a child on our stop in Memphis.

9. Toto'sDad

He could also play a mean guitar, despite many people believing it was basically just a prop for him. He never considered himself a player (and you probably wouldn't either, if you had Scotty Moore, James Burton, and Hank Garland playing for you)
    I mean, sure, lots of the Vegas-ey things he played very little, if at all, but
    [/QUOTE]

My wife and I had just bought our first new color tv one of those old round screen Philco Televisions when they broadcast that special. We were glued to the tv for the whole show! I was quite surprised to see and hear Elvis actually playing the guitar, I didn't think he could do anything but break strings! I enjoyed the whole show immensely, a fond memory.

10. Toto'sDad

I either missed it, or this is your first reference to losing a child. I'm sorry, very sorry that you and she had that experience. I just don't know what to say. Belated condolences.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Every generation thinks the music of their era is special, but baby boomers really think this. I came of age in the early '90s, and I think most of the greatest albums came out in the '80s and '90s. I think Uncle Tupelo was better than the Beatles. Tom Waits's album Bone Machine is better than Exile on Main Street. But of course I would.

Now, I sometimes cringe at the music my kids listen to, but I remind myself it's not for me. I'm not the audience for this music.

Some of the music made in this decade will stand up just fine with the classics of the '60s. It won't be the bubble gum radio hits--it wasn't in the '60s either. It will be works like Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly and D'Angelo's Black Messiah. But some of us don't know how to listen to music like that because we're listening for something else.

Modman68 likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

When a young generation z couple are united in matrimony, they will hold hands and reminisce about their favorite song from this album.

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Damn, all that old guy music totally sucks.

My generation makes lotsa stuff that makes me happy, though of course I only like a tune for an hour or so before moving on to the next thing...

No accounting for taste, these tunes make me happy for a minute.

SolidSteak likes this.
  14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

If I were an old guy (I'm getting there) trying to prove my generation's musical superiority, I'd compare the best of my generation with the worst or at most mediocre examples of popular music from other generations. For example, I'd compare "Via Chicago" by Wilco to "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by Ohio Express to prove that late-'90s music was better than '60s music. That's what always happens in these threads (there have been so many of them!). '60s music is better because--watch me compare some garbage Nicky Minaj lyric with "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall." None of it proves anything.

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I think that, yes, Buddy Holly died and that's tragic but rock music lived on and progressed no matter what the clichés from movies and pop songs said.

hudpucker likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wonder if repeated misinformation has a critical mass where it become accepted fact/ belief/ history?

Some of us may have seen some of these processes from beginning to end, where it became fact that AC15/ AC30 is a class A amp, or that alder is middy while ash is bright.

Then later some of those facts turned into myths or urban legends, after an interim of being popular debate topics during the transition.

These days; and maybe I'm just gettin' old and tired of the seemingly modern tendency to adopt repeated misinformation as personal belief; I've lost much of my interest in and fantasy that I can "set things right".

I think the crowd funding of pop notions is a sickness, more than a problem to solve.
    Mob mentality is a force to be reckoned with, yet no power seems up to the reckoning.

Seems you can't fix sick!

Modman68 likes this.
  17. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Your sense of history is pretty thin. Either that or you just want to crap on things you don’t like and pretend that your myopic opinion is objectively grounded.

I am not into many of the things you are trashing, but I don’t pretend they are new phenomena or less valid than the ephemera that came before. I don’t pretend that there was some true golden era that we’ve tumbled from.

Modman68 likes this.
  18. boop

boop Tele-Meister

I was born in the late 80s. I grew up with and relate to older pop. I think its what you grow up with. I like some rap, which was around when I was a kid. I've read that in your early 20s people often stop listening to and appreciating new music, especailly new types of music. I don't think that is always true, but generally I'd say it is.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Seems you pretend a lot of things. It's a relatively new phenomena that the majority of high paid performers in the music industry that have entered over the last decade don't write all of their own songs and don't actually play a musical instrument above amateur level if at all.
    You can put that down to musical trends but I tend to think it's more about what the industry chooses to promote and why they choose to promote it.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

The other day my 22yo son bluetoothed to my new home stereo with his phone. He plugged in Remember Then by the Earls, and acouple of Everly Brothers songs.
    Told me they were from a CD I made him when he was 6 and going on a long car trip.
    Told me it was still his favorite music.

He had built 2 guitars by the time he was 14.
    I just wish he could sit still looking enough to learn to play.

At least the seeds were planted.

telemnemonics and SolidSteak like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.