Question for the retirees (post-retirement activities)

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Lots of good replies in this thread.

I just turned 59 and was planning on working to 62. No kids and I live simple. Both the wife and I are savers/investors and we both have worked since our teens.

Going through a reorg at work has made me think about clocking out at 60. I’ve really stepped up planning for post-retirement. I think staying social will be the biggest challenge. I do have a lot if hobbies and interests, so I’ll try to seek like minded folks. I’ve always liked (most) of the people I’ve worked with, and I’ll miss that. Seems like it boils down to connecting through groups instead of the workplace.

Last edited:

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Going through a reorg at work has made think about clocking out at 60. I’ve really stepped up planning for post-retirement.

The planning is challenging, for sure.

I have a friend who recently retired with a pension (and, fortunately, health insurance in perpetuity). The great thing is that his pension is unaffected by market fluctuations. BUT, his concern is inflation, as the pension isn’t inflation-adjusted.

On the other hand, those with 401Ks, in theory, should be able to construct a portfolio that addresses inflation. But, market fluctuations can have a very significant impact.

It is relatively easy to figure out what a retirement budget ought to be. A lot more difficult to figure out if your nest egg will be enough to sustain you in the long run.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
In my opinion the best thing you can do is let go of all the "must do" tasks etc.
Amen. The other day I was looking at my to do lists and I realized some of the items were 1-2 years old. I'll get to it when I get to it.
I've already got a list of things as long as my arm that I could really put another 40h a week toward.
That list will never end when you retire. The best thing is you get to do it when you're ready to do it.

Togman

Tele-Afflicted
I am based in the UK.

I retired just before my 60th birthday.

My hobbies aside from music are Photography and visiting the Cinema and Theatre.

In retirement I have set myself up as a solo act (performing to backing tracks) for entertaining in local care homes. This has proven to be very successful (to my surprise!). I also do freelance work as a pit musician for various Musical Theatre groups.

My wife and I are very keen walkers and are lucky enough to live on the edge of town so that we can be out in countryside in a matter of minutes. We have many 4 - 6 mile circular routes on our doorstep - we aim to do one of these every day where possible.

We are also members of the National Trust - so we also try to fit in a mid-week visit to these properties when it tends to be much quieter.

With all this, and the occasional days of looking after Grandchildren we manage to keep ourselves busy.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Our diesel pickup is coming out the shop tomorrow after some semiserious maintenance, and our last granddog has gone to heaven. Time to hitch up the fifth wheel and do some serious wandering. Maybe between here and springtime we'll confine ourselves to west-coast states.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
I've been retired since I was 55. I'm now 66 and have a few hobbies. My wife has been retired about a year now. We try to walk about a mile and a half every day. I have a Fisher 500C receiver and a pair of Altec Bolero 890C speakers that I listen to my music through. Vintage tube audio works for me. I build and play guitar and dabble with my mandolin. About 5 years into my retirement, I was stuck at home and I convinced my wife that I wanted a Harley Davidson motorcycle (wanted one since I was 7) She finally agreed so I find myself riding at least twice a week covering many miles in our mountains and along the Pacific Coast. So much beauty riding in California. A moving zen, if you will.

If I had the cash flow and means, I'd probably build custom cars, hot rods and custom motorcycles. I suppose that would be my dream unfulfilled.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
I retired in June 2019. Age 67. Since that time my wife passed away, I had back surgery and I downsized. Being by myself and still rehabbing everything is a challenge. I frankly am busy every day keeping my household going. I don’t miss work at all. I really enjoy my yard and also had a vegetable garden for the first time in 2 years. I was never much of a vacation person. I’m finally getting to the point where I can comfortably drive and go out for dinner, go out and enjoy things. I’m back to playing guitar and looking for some folks my age to play with. I hope to have some time this winter to do some volunteer work. I am busier than ever!

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been a TDPRI member since not long after I got my first Telecaster when I was 17. I am no 42. First, it's crazy to think about the TDPRI (or anything on the internet) being around for that long, but second, this thread is one of the best things I think I've ever read here.

I personally grew up in some pretty significant poverty, and never developed a belief that I would have the capacity to work at something in a way that would allow me to retire. I am now somewhere in the middle, and will likely manage it in one way or another. That said, I am a social worker now, and I plan to work in one way or another until I die. I'm trained as a therapist, but don't really want to be that kind of social worker - but I know that maybe that's something that will be worth taking up in "retirement." I know I need some kind of plan, because when I do nothing, depression catches me very quickly. Part of my retirement planning is accumulating a lot of different musical instruments to keep me busy. I bought a nice Martin about a year ago, and it's coming with me all the way.

Also, for anyone who questions what to do with themselves, and has access to Netflix, you certainly have time to watch The Samurai Gourmet. I typically don't have the attention span for sweet Japanese stories like this, but a friend (who ironically is the one with ADHD) recommended it, and it changed the way I think about aging as a human being.

All of you friends who are hitting that general age right now - you are participating in an inspirational change. Retirement looks very little like it used to, and there is excitement to be found, and good work to be done on one's own terms.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I'm at the cusp of 70.

I haven't worked a regular job in 10+ years.

I perform solo (because I can) as much as possible... all over the country.

i.e., In sold most of my "stuff" when I left my job; bought a travel trailer and pu truck with my gal; and, we left for other places.

I find gigs because I was fortunate enough to wander, accidentally, into the "Buffett" camp.

Playing with a partner, who had deep connections with a member of Buffett's Coral Reefer Band, we were able to establish a good reputation with the ParrotHead peeps.

So, I spent 9 years there (before I retired) performing for Trop Rock fans, on weekends, up and down the east coast.

My vacations from regular work were spent with us performing for PH Clubs and special events, along with the usual restaurant/patio gigs.

Anyway, my resume/website looks pretty good and I can usually find work wherever we land.

(This past summer was the Seattle area... right now we are in Arizona.)

It's been quite an experience as we spent time in the Finger Lakes, NY; 3 winters in 3 different locations in FL; a winter in Gulf Shores, AL; a summer in Ashville, NC; a summer in LaCrosse, WI; a summer along the St Lawrence River, NY etc.

Now, we are thinking of coming off the "big road", selling our 33 ft trailer, buying a small cottage/house in our home area of Central PA, and just doing shorter trips for shorter times.

I've been lucky to have found a woman that loves to travel (on the cheap) and find and enjoy "ADVENTURE."

This is how I've retired... so far.

imo.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
second, this thread is one of the best things I think I've ever read here

As the OP, while I was particularly keen on hearing stories and getting suggestions, this thread was far more valuable to me than I expected.

There is a difference asking a question like this in a “retirement” forum as compared to the general population (limited only by their love and / or playing of guitars).

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
the boss was forced into retirement due to health reasons, I retired twice, once from the federal government, and once a menial job i took after I cleaned the garage for the 500th time,
now i spend my days either doing repairs for spare coins to finance my gas, or cruising the net thinking about either the fluff in my belly button, or what mischief I can get into before Ms 24, will beat me in my sleep with a large pointed stick( so far I have avoided the latter.) but I have been threatened, sternly.
she has made a honey-do list that I abruptly filed under ignore or never mind.

to be more specific
2015 I retired from the government after 25 years to the day
2016 started working for a large grocery chain in produce ( just to stay physical and busy)
Retired on Dec 31,2020 for tax reasons ( it was costing me to go to work).
and now I do as I wish, look after the Mrs., sleep in, play, build my studio, take care of obligations, play with Harlo the wonder pooch, and watch my herd of deer and the tons of birds in the back yard, grouse, stellar jays , magpie, ring neck doves, oriels, humming birds etc.

Oh yeah one more thing......... I think of smart arsed things to say on this site

Last edited:

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Retired at age 60 in late 2017 ... because I could. Most of my "busy" comes from personal activities like woodworking, home improvement, etc., but I'm also the one who does all the cooking, etc. Professor Dr. SWMBO is due to retire at the end of this academic year because of some encroaching memory related medical issues and I'm also compensating for things that are difficult for her to do as well as making sure she's kept busy, too. We did "downsize" a year and a half ago and that's been helpful.

Don Mare

Tele-Afflicted
Happy retirement =
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this Telecaster portal
were board with tiny script .

The mate was a mighty Tele man,
The skipper's into Gibson's but were not sure.
Five Telecaster changed their Strings that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour concert tour.

The Weather started getting rough,
The Fender Amp was lost,
If not for the courage of the Roadies and crew
The Concert would be a loss, the Concert would be a loss.

The Diesil's shut Down by the Music Store of this un-monitored Telecaster Isle
With Gilligan
The Skipper too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star
The Professor and Mary Ann,*
and you* are Here on Telecasters Isle.

Where, you can Log out but you can't never leave~ happy retirement~

Last edited:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
the absolute truth about retirement is you are incontrol of how you watch the days/night go by .
you earn the right to put your feet up and let the cards fall for you as they will

but truly there is a whole world of daily drama that unfolds before you that you only get a glimps of when you work 8-10-14 hrs aday , I have the ability to see patterns and spacial relations its a weird thing but it comes natural to me , I can see the change in the weather over the course of a week say and see how it relates to the animals and how they behave , I can tell when we are going to get snow by the direction the wind blows , if the wind blows East it will be warm out if it blows West its going to be Parka time soon. but to witness this daily as it unfolds is magic to me , thats what retirement has allowed me.

I know this sounds weird , but I get up with a smile every day- unless I run out of coffee, LOL