Question for the retirees (post-retirement activities)

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I did some consulting work via an acquaintence in the first few retirement years.
Mostly now, between dog care and our land (5 acres) it's hard to keep up with that and playing gigs. I seem plenty busy. Although, if not gigging i wouldn't be for sure as my physical body won't let me do to much really. Takes me 2-3 days to recover from a gig.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
I’m 68. Strokes and open heart surgery in 2020 (then aged 64) involuntarily retired me from a cybersecurity career. I’m thankful I had 20 year military retirement, good 401K’s and company disability insurance. Doc recommends a driving test before driving again, but I feel up to it. Disability insurance will end in February and we will then draw on annuities created from 401K’s. Wife works a somewhat low paying job as church‘s school registrar. I volunteer gardening work at a Colonial farm, garden also in my backyard, play and mod guitar and play keyboard. I yearn for when the unmentionabe, and family and docs will relent, letting me drive and go shopping/swapping some used guitar gear. And I’d like to move from Maryland down to a warmer climate like SC where I grew up, so I can more easily garden. Sometimes, I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a job to shove. But I try to look my uninvited negative circumstances as a gift that can result in someone greater than it all, strengthening me.
It sounds like you have the right attitude. And most of my colleagues retired your way.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
While my full retirement age was 65 I retired at 67. For each year past your full retirement age your social security payment gets increased by 7% so keep that in mind. Retiring before your full age has the opposite effect. I go to the gym three times a week, in a golf league on Thursdays and play guitar at night. I also belong to the local Lions Club and work Toys for Tots and some other lesser-known local charities. I was lucky in that my first job had a pension program, which at age 22 I was like ho-hum. The last (government) job also had a pension. Before my 65th birthday I got letters asking how I wanted it direct deposited. I had actually forgotten about the first job so the pension letter was a shock. My advice to those planning to retire: create a schedule and stick to it. Not having any clear daily goals will not lead you to a happy place.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That’s why I’ve got the caveat of “semi” retirement. Full retirement will not likely be feasible or desirable.

Further context. I seem to have aged 10 years from age 45-49. If this keeps up, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel at 55, so I’d like to have some enjoyment between 55 and 62, and if I have to take a part time job during that and beyond, so be it.
If I may be bold........

Sounds like the NY life is taking a heavy toll on you. You ought to think about escaping from all that, regardless of money and material possessions and all that, and in so doing, maybe save your health and sanity.

My Mom and Dad are ages 95 and 96 and how did they do this? They left the stress behind in their late 50s (and left NY behind in the 1970s). Get free, while you still can.

+

Oh, and yeah, I am out clearing trees and brush by hand around the (now almost) 6 acres in western NC, age 68, but I practically jump out of bed to tackle the work. It is hard work, but it really has me feeling great.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
If I may be bold........

Sounds like the NY life is taking a heavy toll on you. You ought to think about escaping from all that, regardless of money and material possessions and all that, and in so doing, maybe save your health and sanity.

My Mom and Dad are ages 95 and 96 and how did they do this? They left the stress behind in their late 50s (and left NY behind in the 1970s). Get free, while you still can.

+

Oh, and yeah, I am out clearing trees and brush by hand around the (now almost) 6 acres in western NC, age 68, but I practically jump out of bed to tackle the work. It is hard work, but it really has me feeling great.
It was a particularly rough 7 years on the work front which I won’t bore you with (and nothing others here haven’t gone through). But that, along with not making time for exercise (my own fault), certainly made me realize my own mortality. I was out with a chain saw yesterday and was unnaturally sore this morning.

BuckNekkid

Tele-Holic
Since shortly before COVID, I started working from home. I'm an instructor for a software company, so I built a home system to use and now when I'm teaching I sit at the computer (or use a laser-clicker and sit in my recliner). I have two guitars within arm's reach and can pick one up any time there's a break.

Next month I'll turn 71. I tell people, "Why should I retire? I sit at the computer, play my guitars, go for walks, listen to the radio or watch TV and I get paid for it. If I retire, I'll be doing the same thing and NOT getting paid for it!"

But I have to say that I'm slowing down and the lure of retiring has some appeal to it. Given my financial planning, I've thought about announcing my retirement next year. Of course, the current economic downturn may impact that decision. The tech field has been pretty much recession-proof over the years, and it may not profit to give that up right now.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Cooking and cleaning. Still waiting to volunteer until some kind of normal back

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
One thing I sure as heck don't miss is the commute. For the most part of my IT career it was the most stressful part of my day. I have to admit, when I'm having my coffee at 7 AM I turn on the TV news and watch the commute report. All the traffic, construction, accidents, and maniacs running late, makes me shudder still. In the winter it is even worse. I look at that and think there's no way I could that anymore. My wife still is working, but her commute is only 20 minutes. She still hates it though.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
One thing I sure as heck don't miss is the commute. For the most part of my IT career it was the most stressful part of my day. I have to admit, when I'm having my coffee at 7 AM I turn on the TV news and watch the commute report. All the traffic, construction, accidents, and maniacs running late, makes me shudder still. In the winter it is even worse. I look at that and think there's no way I could that anymore. My wife still is working, but her commute is only 20 minutes. She still hates it though.
Oddly, that’s something that I haven’t minded. 45 minutes on the train each way gave me time to read.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
When I worked in Chicago the train was the way to go. Here in Metro Detroit there is no option. The Big 3 would never let happen.
Yeah, I’m my prior life as an engineer I drove 25k-30k miles per year. In the NYC metro area. That was pure torture.

Fredhead59

Tele-Meister
Had to retire due to two upper spine surgeries four weeks apart not fixing the problems,only making things worse.
My previous job was a vehicle parts delivery driver having a 7 county route and then a 2 state route. Can't drive now as I can't turn my head much. 13 screws and 2 rods.
There is very little physically I can do. My right hand doesn't work well (I'm left-handed).
Holding a pick is almost impossible. Even washing dishes is a chore.
I can't raise my left arm up past shoulder height.
Doing the laundry,especially folding,is hard.
My wife has to cut my steak or any other cutting.
I try to cook. Opening cans with pull top lids is very hard.
I do watch my grandsons when my middle son-in-law gets home late from work or is out-of-state. My daughter is an EMT working 6PM-4:30AM unless she's doing patient transport.
I work on my guitars to break the monotony of just sitting around.
In a nutshell,with my predicament,I'm just sitting in my lift chair wasting away.

Tone Quest

Tele-Afflicted
I retired at 65 from a very stressful job. I admit I was burned out, it was time. We sold our house and bought a condo close to the beach. I play my guitars more, we take in the vibrant music scene here in Myrtle Beach, have made some great friends to socialize with, more time to travel, and more time to spend with our kids and grandkids. Retirement is good.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Had to retire due to two upper spine surgeries four weeks apart not fixing the problems,only making things worse.
My previous job was a vehicle parts delivery driver having a 7 county route and then a 2 state route. Can't drive now as I can't turn my head much. 13 screws and 2 rods.
There is very little physically I can do. My right hand doesn't work well (I'm left-handed).
Holding a pick is almost impossible. Even washing dishes is a chore.
I can't raise my left arm up past shoulder height.
Doing the laundry,especially folding,is hard.
My wife has to cut my steak or any other cutting.
I try to cook. Opening cans with pull top lids is very hard.
I do watch my grandsons when my middle son-in-law gets home late from work or is out-of-state. My daughter is an EMT working 6PM-4:30AM unless she's doing patient transport.
I work on my guitars to break the monotony of just sitting around.
In a nutshell,with my predicament,I'm just sitting in my lift chair wasting away.
Ugh, I’m so sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best and I hope that your pain is manageable.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I retired in March at 60. Almost 40 years in, more or less, the same job and I'd had enough.
I was working from home and, for a year before that, in an almost empty office.

I've been busy clearing out my late father's house to sell it. He was taken by that which cannot be named.
His unfortunate demise prompted & allowed me to retire.
We're then going to de-clutter our home. Simple procedure - Donate/ Sell/ Dump!

I keep busy by reading, building model kits, playing guitar and buying gear I don't really need.
Oh, we run a Cat Cafe - for cats. We don't even advertise, it's just word of mouth. ;)😺

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Seems impossible but I've been retired for almost twelve years! I've not done a whole lot with the time, I thought I would do more, but life intervened with my son being sick, and shot down some plans I had early on to do some part time work. I don't know for sure if I would have done that work even if I hadn't been involved with my son's health issues.

I tried hooking up with some senior social club type things, but I spent most of my life working alone, the social club thing didn't work for me. I've done a few things I wanted to, traveled a little, but I really have no desire to travel after all the time I spent on the road as a truck driver. It is nice having the freedom to go somewhere when I want if the opportunity arises.

It's very fortunate for me, that my wife is okay with our life as it is. We play golf, go some places that we don't have to travel too far to get to, and just go about living. I worked very hard at times in my life, having many great adventures along the way. I feel like if I don't ever do anything else, I've had a good run.