Question for the folks that teach guitar!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, May 9, 2018.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I’m doing lessons now. Having a lot of fun with it, but making up my own materials. It’s a lot of extra work. What books have you used for beginners and intermediate students???

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the student.
    For beginners I use Mel Bay Expanded edition (spiral bound) the series is still the best IMHO.
    For beginners that are hot shots and think the know more than they do I use the Mastering the Guitar Series by William Bay an Mike Christiansen. I Supplement these books with selected song mateeial that is intended to develop the ear and knowledge of standard chord progressions and the theory behind it.

For more advanced students I use a variety of material. Violin etudes from Dancla, Wolfhardt, Kreutzer and a ton of clarinet and trumpet music for technique building and picking technique .... also a ton of other books that teach theory and chord construction etc. Each student is different at this level so the books I choose vary from student to student, A partial list includes Chords & Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar, Patterns Scales and Modes for Jazz Guitar both by Arnie Berle. Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar by Eddie Arkin and a lot of material from The George Van Eps books. Selected material from Guitar Lore by Denis Sandole. This is just a partial list there are other books that I used based on situation.
    Trumpet and Clarinet Duets from the Rubank Series, Rhythms by Chas Colin and Bugs Bower for sight reading practice ...... there is a ton of books that are published.

.... above all you need to develop a flexible (every student is different) and gradable (be able to measure progress) system to present the material.
    Beginners get a half hour lesson once a week .... the more advanced get an hour twice a month.

Learn to deal with frustration creatively because you will experience a lot of it from you and your students.

dswo and BigDaddyLH like this.
  3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

While I'm not a teacher, folks have come to me to show them lots of stuff (and I'm around teachers and pros a lot). For beginners, do you really need a book? And I'm a firm believer in a structured environment in the beginning. However teaching chords and then context (simple songs), the major scale, identifying the numbers/notes of the major scale in the chords, the basics of CAGED and pentatonic should take about a year (maybe less with a highly motivated learner). After that, you should have a firm grasp on the direction the student wants to go in.

I guess to me a book means that the teacher is not hand writing or preparing all of their own information. Which is fine, but each student is different and learns things differently and at a different pace. I'm more inclined to either write out the materials for the students or have a stock of previously prepared material and hand it out when appropriate. Not all students move in the chronological order that a book might be laid out in.

RevMike likes this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I taught years ago and I am teaching my son who is 12.

Berklee Modern Method 1-3
    Bill Leavitt's Classical Studies for Plectrum Guitar and Melodic Rhythms (this one mainly for sightreading)
    Mick Goodrick's The Advancing Guitarist
    Real Book

I stay away from anything that has tunes that kids learning will know. Reading is important and I always thought MM 1 was a really cool book because it covers so much in such a small book.

Henry Mars likes this.
  5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The books provide order and graded skill progression. Yea I could write a lot of stuff down and do with advanced students. That said the books also provide a sense of where I have been and present a clear objectives. Do I supplement books? Why yes I do. There are certain skill sets that need to be learned though. If you learn to play sax, trumpet, piano etc. the first thing you get is a method book. Why do you suppose that is? Simply put, over the years the people that play these instruments have developed clear cut progressive methods to learning .... it is only now since the guitar has become a bit more than a curiosity that these methods are now in demand. Years ago when I studied classical guitar you were given a book by Carcassi (and still are BTW), which was a / the standard method for learning. I doubt seriously if classical guitar teachers just wrote stuff down when they had this book as a tool. They are a good thing and speed up the learning process.

RevMike, screamin eagle and noah330 like this.
  6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for that.

7. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Good info. Gonna hit Sam Ash tomorrow and try to check out some of these. I’m really enjoying the whole teaching experience. Very rewarding and a good opportunity to bone up on my theory.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The first Fabulous Thunderbirds album and all Chuck Berry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.