Question for Squier Cabronita owners

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by dinomike77, Nov 14, 2018.

1. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

1. I can understand why they stopped producing the Squier, it was pretty popular, and it came too soon after the Fender. I think it might have been hurting the Fender sales too much. I don't see why they don't make the regular Fender anymore. Now I believe it's more like a Custom shop model. Which is a pity. I also wish they would have a single coil bridge /P90 neck combination. It was available as a Fender FSR for a while, or a Alnico III broadcaster style tele bridge pickup with a filtertron like neck pickup.

2. oh so true, and even though some people are systematically negative about thinner necks, but they forget that for some that just is the most comfortable neck to play. Don't forget that at least PART of the Squier target audience is supposed to be younger beginners that are not yet fullgrown.

3. :D... don't mind the bandmate. Forgive him, because he doesn't know why he turns his nose up. Leaves more great guitars available for people that can appreciate it, and if he only wants to buy a Fender, then Fender still earns money.

4. That's about the only guitar I have that I don't know how to handle... It completes my collection, but it never gets played (read point 1 again for what I'd really like). It's still a nice item in the collection. But Squier marketing does sometimes have some very good ideas, they had a dual P90 for 8 years or so in the lineup, that I liked very much.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd lower your neck pickup and raise the screw poles on the neck side strip, maybe a Strat stagger or just flat to each other for more mid-scoop that way.

Black and Tort is such a great combo.

3. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Thanks got the suggestion! I have been playing around with pole heights and I think I’m close to being satisfied. Of course, we all know how that goes!

4. Ian_Sheridan1978

Ian_Sheridan1978 TDPRI Member

Sorry to wake up such an old thread. I joined the site just to ask this question...

After missing the boat first time round, and kicking myself ever after, long story short, I got a mint condition bigsby Cabronita and I'm chuffed. It's exceeded my expectations. I've swapped the pot for a 500k, put in a switchcraft switch and a rail humbucker in the bridge.

Now it sounds great.

Here's my question.....

The tort pickguard....did it match the original screw holes? Do the squier holes match the mim ones?

Thanks Ian....

Attached Files:

5. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

No, the MiM / Squier pickguards are not interchangeable. I had one custom made by Pickguardian in order to get what I wanted. I highly recommend them. I sent in my Squier pickguard for him to make a template of, so he may be able to help you easily. I believe the gentleman's name is Tony.

Ian_Sheridan1978 likes this.
  6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Which rail humbucker did you put in?

Ian_Sheridan1978 likes this.
  7. Ian_Sheridan1978

Hi. Just the artec one. I've been pleased with their pickups previously, and this is fine. Really I just wanted something that would work with the 500k pot.

Ian

8. Ian_Sheridan1978

Thank you for the reply.

That has saved me the disapointment of finding out the expensive way!

9. Ian_Sheridan1978

Btw...I only own three guitars....all teles, so I guess I should have signed up years ago. Here's my partscaster....

Attached Files:

10. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

4 years ago I went hunting for a Cabby. The MIM, I believe, we’re never offered with a Bigsby. They came single or 2 Fidelitrons in the MIMs. I’m having the same neck pickup issues for adjustment. Same fix of clearance from pickguard. All is well with my Cabby.
    I’ve heard a therory that the man behind the Cabby quit or was fired. His idea discontinued.

11. Ian_Sheridan1978

Is it not this guy?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.