Question for sky watchers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jonzer, Sep 6, 2015.

1. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Around 4:00 AM on the East Coast I'm outside with my dog and I'm looking at the sky. It's a clear night and I'm hoping to see some shooting stars. The sky is clear and the stars are out. Something blinks and disappears. I can't see it when it's not blinking. It gives out one slow blink every 38 seconds (I counted).

What was it? Was it the space station? A satellite? A really slow airplane? I don't believe in UFOs so I'm not going for that theory.

I'm always curious about the stars and planets and what I'm seeing. I'm out of my depth with constellations and stuff like that.

2. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

I have an app on my iPhone called Sky Guide. You may find it helpful.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Def. sounds like aliens!

The space statio is usually obvious but steady if it can catch the sun just after dark or just before sunrise. There are plenty of trackers that let you see exactly where it is. You can plan to see it usually. Got a 2 - 3 minute window but it goes round once every 45 or so.

+1 on a phone or iPad app. They tell you what you are looking at if you hold the up to the sky using their motion sensors.

Plane tracking apps also let you zoom in an identify commercial aircraft - give route, speed, etc.

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Could be a slowly rotating high orbit satellite reflecting sunlight. The ISS, and most low orbit satellites, are easily seen near sunrise if they catch the sun right. They also are really moving along - they appear to travel much faster than an airliner from ground.

5. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

I haven't seen the ISS yet, even when I was told where it would be.

I do have an app for this kind of stuff on my phone but it's very confusing. I had one on my last phone where you pointed it at the sky. On this new one (Sky Map) it's like nothing changes, no matter what direction I point. I can't figure it out.
    I'm gonna get rid of it and try another.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

in late august early september we go through the Perseid Meteor Shower this year it peaked on August 13, there are al lot of residual goodies up there that bounce off of our atmosphere and do not fall to earth, this is dependent on angle of trajectory, kind of like a flat rock bouncing off of the surface of a lake, did you know the Earth is the only planet that has a garbage dump circling it, of items that were made by a sentient being?

7. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Did you know that Mars is totally inhabited by robots?

I have the Sky Guide app too and you can set it to alert you when the ISS, or other satellites are in view.

I have friends on the North Shore where there is very little light pollution and they regularly see the ISS. I was there once and they said "oh, there's the ISS", pointing in the sky. I said "no way" and she pulled out her iPad with the Sky Guide app, and there it was racing across the night.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Check to see if it is following the movement of the stars. My guess is it is a slowly rotating satellite. I can see many more satellites now than ever before. I can see ISS up here pretty easily for the last few years especially when the shuttle was docked. At dusk, with binoculars, it is easy to see the solar arrays on it.

9. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Satellites don't blink, they don't have lights on them.

As for the ISS, it's around the brightness of Venus, you can see it pretty much anywhere!

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have an app called Star Chart on my Android based phone. It's awesome. It works day or night.

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Hard to say exactly. It's steady pulsating light from where you were would seem to rule out sun reflecting from a space vehicle. It most certainly had to be generated from the source of the entity...Whatever it was.

I do believe in UFO's since there is so much probability to the possibility (think in terms of quantum physics).

Probably not a UFO though. It was a weather balloon with a locator beacon.

12. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

13. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have star walk. Great id of all

15. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

16. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

17. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I would bet it was a flare. Which is the sun reflecting off a satellite. The first time I saw one I thought it was a star burning out. It got real bright and then went black. Just before sunrise when its still dark out is the best time to see them.

18. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

It was a weather balloon......... wink wink:D

19. 24 track

NANO BOTS, better call Georgio from ancient aliens !!!!

20. 24 track

I use 3 programs , Celestia, Starry Nights, Stellarium to map out what is happening in the void above us, also did you know the Moon is the largest moon in relation to it's host planet in our solar system? 1/4 the size

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.