Question for RAT users

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fender4life, Oct 22, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I've used them in the past thru a clean amp and boosted them with a tube screamer when i want hi gain. But one thing i never did was run overdriven amp thats driven to about 1/2 the OD i want and use the RAT to add the other 1/2. Or maybe 70/30 or 60/40 etc, but you get the idea. Do any of you run them like that? Possibly like a tube screamer where u set the volume up and distortion down to drive the input of the amp into higher OD? Or do you all just use the RATs OD into a clean amp? I like that but the way i plan to run it (Biyang DS-8 in the mail) Is amp a bit cleaner then i want and RAT as clean boost to add more heat. I have tube screamers i'm using like that but i figured i'd like to have a RAT and use it the same way to have a different flavor then the TS. And also to occasionally use it into a clean amp like i used to and hit the RAT with a tube screamer for singing stuff. That right there is worth the price of admission! But rthat alone isn't what i bought it for o just wanted to see if anyone runs thiesr the way i mainly plan to.

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes

I dial in right around breakup, and fool around w/ the tone reducer.
    Black panel deeluxe - not much reverb.

Peace - Deeve

3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

You can get good results using a Rat as an overdrive. I prefer the Turbo Rat for a dirty amp. It’s not as compressed. But, a Rat with the gain low and volume high should work just fine.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The Biyang rat has a turbo setting tho i haven't read any reviews that mention how well that setting replicates a turbo rat. It's overall rat sound from what i have read is one of the best clones around so hopefully that includes the turbo setting. Uncompressed is what i like. Too much compression is good for singing hi gain lead tones but not much else in my book.

D_Malone likes this.
  5. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

I just got a Mooer black secret rat clone. Running it into a joyo American Sound with the voice and the drive about 50% each and the black secret distortion about 75% sounds freaking sick. I'm not sure if that answers the precise question or not but man am I loving this thing so far.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a tube driven Rat clone and one of the stages is a boost. And yeah, it kills.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.