1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question for Pickup Experts: Soapbar vs. Dogear P90 ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by GUITARmole, May 16, 2006.

1. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you pickup experts (winders, etc.) could tell me the difference (if any) between the soapbar and dogear P90s?

Are they exactly the same design and soundwise except for the cover and bottom plate mounting scheme or do they differ in bobbin size or sound?

I'm trying to decide what to use for a future project and wondered if there were any significant differences aside from cosmetics...thanks in advance for any and all info!

2. Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender Tele-Meister

You have it right. They would use the same bobbins but differ only in the baseplate, cover and mounting style. The dogear covers can be a pain to get the correct height that you need as well as pole spacing ... I have bought sets from different sources and ended up with wider pole spacing on the bridge as compared to the neck etc. or neck and bridge covers the same height; ie. too high for the neck position .. I found them to be a big pain in the butt)

Stick with the soapbar if you have a choice.

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Same exact pickup.

4. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

The soapbar style hole has more options available if you don't like what you initially get. You can fit P-90s, minihumbuckers, plus the various P-90 sized pickups that are available into the SB hole.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

As most LP Jr. players will confirm, the dogears have a more positive connection to the body. They will generally feel a bit more alive than the soapbar which is more isolated from body vibrations. Other than that, they are the same pickups.

6. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Ok, this may be nitpicking but just for fun, wouldn't the difference in the base plate make a difference? I've never looking that much into it but I know there's always talk about tonal differences between telecaster base plates. I know that seems to have more to do with the metal used in it but wouldn't the amount of metal have an effect too? Not that I'd ever be able to hear it, just a curious thought.

7. GUITARmole

Yeah, I was wondering about the baseplate and if it made a difference in sound as well as if the bobbins were a different height and what difference that might make.

Also, isn't the rout for them both the same...just deeper for the soapbar? It looks like the dogears need the same sized rout but the ears just hang over the side of the hole, correct?

The reason I was considering the dogear was purely for cosmetics. I'm putting together an early 60's SG clone with wraparound bridge and I like the simple looks of the SG Jr with the single dogear P90.

As sick as it may seem I'm actually thinking of going with the dogear P90 for the bridge like an original SG Jr and then adding a Tele neck pickup or Dano lipstick pickup for additional sound combinations.

8. Feral Hymns

Feral Hymns Tele-Holic

Ooooh I'd vote for a lipstick pickup. I'm a huge fan of P-90s but lipsticks get a close second heh. Yeah I picked up a Melody Maker RI by Gibson and have to say the simplicity is a nice change, I've always been somewhat of a stickler for less is more but this guitar just rips at everything hah.

I'm pretty sure the routs are the same too, I know you still fit mini HB's into a dog ear rout. I bet you could even get one of those conversion plates for HB to single coil.

9. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

You can fit anything anywhere if you don't mind screw holes. :?

[​IMG]

10. GUITARmole

The Melody Makers are definitely cool guitars. The simplicity of the MM, SG, LP jr/spec (especially with the simple wraparound tailpiece) kind of make them Gibson's version of the Tele. Frighteningly enough, my SG actually (dare I say?) TWANGS!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.