1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question for Nano Small Stone Owners

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mr Mxyzptlk, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I recently ordered an open box demo Nano Small Stone from Sweetwater. It worked fine, except that with the "Color" switch in the down position, when I turned the rate all the way up, the phasing effect would disappear. (This didn't happen with the Color switch in the up position.) I told Sweetwater about this, and they graciously allowed me to return the pedal for an exchange.

The replacement pedal appears to be new, and Sweetwater didn't charge me any extra, which was very nice of them. However, unfortunately the new pedal exhibits the same problem as the previous one.

Before I return this Nano Small Stone for yet another one, I'd like to know: Is this "normal"? Have other Nano Small Stone owners observed this same behavior? Thanks in advance!

2. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

I only use this pedal with the Color switch in the 'normal' position, and I remember turning the rate all the way up and getting a kind of octave-up sound. Is that what you mean? I don't have access to my board right now - so I can't double-check for you

But I'm guessing that's normal. For a really fast rate, turn it all the way up and then turn it back down a fraction, and see how it sounds to you

3. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I assume that by "'normal' position" you mean "down." Anyway, yes, your description sounds something like what I'm experiencing: Turning the knob fully clockwise creates sort of a mild ring modulator effect, something like the Dan Armstrong Green Ringer but not as pronounced. Seems strange to me that the Nano Small Stone would have this "undocumented feature," but if that's the way they all are, I won't bother returning mine again. I was hoping that for maximum phase rate I could just turn the knob all the way up without worry, but having to fiddle with it a bit isn't the worst thing in the world.

Corroboration from other users would still be welcome and appreciated. I'd also be curious to know if vintage Small Stones behave this way too. Thanks again!

4. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Yeah, the mild ring modulator effect is pretty much the sound I get when the rate is turned up all the way too

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.