Question for Marshall Drive Master owners...

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by max_twang, Apr 21, 2019.

1. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up a vintage Drive Master pedal off CL.

It makes a lot of noise. Even with the volume and gain rolled way back, there is significant hiss, and if I crank it up, the hissing is ridiculous.

Would anyone know if this is normal for this pedal? I opened it up to have a look at the board and didn't see anything obviously wrong. I did notice, however, that when the pedal is switched on, the clipping LEDs do not light up. Again, I'm not sure if this is a normal thing or not. Also, there is one electrolytic cap on the board at C7 and I was wondering if this might need to be changed due to its age.

Thanks for your insights :)

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I should also mention that it passes signal just fine, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the general sound of the OD. The tone controls work just fine, except that they will enhance the range of the hiss in the frequency band that they cover.

3. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

That sort of noise isn't normal -- you should have someone have a look over it for you. I owned one in the '90s and don't recall it being overly noisy in any way

4. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info. Since I never used this pedal before, I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I cross posted in the Burnt Fingers forum hoping someone might know the possible reasons for the hiss...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.