question for HVAC folks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GGardner, May 25, 2021.

1. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

If you spend the $$ and get it fixed and down the road it leaks; because of the age the old refrigerant will cost almost as much as a new unit. I’d replace now.

GGardner likes this.
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Replacing a blower motor is like falling off a log - but if you can't do it yourself, they'll upcharge you for $600 for an hours work to replace a part that you can get for $175 on the web. I've done that on two units mysefl, one of which is now still going strong after 27 years. The other finally had serious problems in the refrigerant path and the condenser was failing also, so for that one we finally replaced the whole thing. Yes, it's more efficient but the payback time is still many years - so if you can just replace the blower it's definitely worth it.

Edit - this, and other posts, assume that it is the blower motor. But there's many possible reasons why your system won't turn on that could involve other components failing. Without know what the tech did to get it up and going, it's hard to guess. Sometimes its as simple as a failed relay and/or capacitor. But the salesman is coming for one thing only - not to diagnose your system but to sell you a new one.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    GGardner likes this.
  3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

The OP said "condenser fan" not "blower fan"

The condenser fan is in the outside portion of the system. Even if the fan motor needs replacement it should be less than a blower fan motor.

I have an old HVAC system. It is serviced annually by a local contractor. The service technician (Ron) always pauses to say- "dont let anyone talk you into replacing this system, its a good system"....
    When our condenser fan acted up about two years ago, the tech replaced the motors starter capacitor. Well under $100 P&L. A few days later, it acted up again. The service tech checked it out, apologized profusely, said the brand new capacitor was defective. Replaced free of charge. Has worked flawlessly for about three years since.
    The age of the system tells me its a matter of time. My service tech tells me its fine for now.
    BTW, its over 30 years old. When the condenser or evaporator rots out and leaks refrigerant, I'll likely replace the a/c portion of the system and still retain the furnace portion. Probably.
    I trust Ron. Hasnt led me astray for almost 30 years.

GGardner and getbent like this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Well he didn’t come inside the house. So I assumed he just sprayed some lubricant on the fan to get it rotating again.

5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Please tell me you (and Ron) live in NJ.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.