Question for Coca Cola afficianados

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

To answer question, formula has changed many times since early seventies. Warren Buffet could give you the best answer, but the folks in Atlanta will not say a word.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Man that brings back a lot of memories. My dad had a "Coke box" in his shop in the 70s and kept it stocked with 6 1/2 ounce glass bottles. That is the perfect Coca-Cola taste to me, and that taste has never been reproduced in my opinion.

I saw some 6 1/2 ounce (empty) Coke bottles recently at an antique shop and I wanted to buy one, just to set it on my book shelf to remind me of my childhood. But they were asking too much money for an empty glass bottle and I didn't get it.

I try to keep an empty glass Coke bottle from every country that I visit, with their local bottling information on it.

[​IMG]

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I also drink Coke Zero when I want cola (yeah, usually with bourbon in it :)), but last weekend I tried a regular Coke from a can. It did not trigger any "Yes, this is the stuff from my childhood" memories; it just tasted sickeningly sweet.

Edit: It may not have been the latest formula, however. It was in my brother's refrigerator, so I don't know when it was canned.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'm puzzled by my post too. Sometimes those 3 am posts just don't make sense in the light of day! Sorry....

unixfish and LutherBurger like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I remember ( years ago) when I ( so proud!l) switched from regular to diet sodas ( for me it's Fresca at home, and Diet Coke), asking my Dentist:

" Did I do my teeth a favor switching from regular to diet sodas?"
    He said- " Not really, the carbonation is just as bad on your teeth as the sugar"

WTF?!?! Can't win!
    ( I guess I was expecting good news- but I think I knew diet drinks aren't any better....though I did lose weight on the switch)

6. Nightclub Dwight

I do drink a lot of Coke, and I haven't noticed a change in taste lately. I do like those Mexican Cokes in the glass bottles, but they're expensive, so I usually just drink the regular Coke that comes in a can.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  7. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

A store by me has started stocking soda and mixers which contain stevia instead of sugar. Tonic water generally has a fair amount of HFCS, ginger beer even more. While I find stevia to have a bit of an odd taste, they mix pretty well in my heavy-handed cocktails

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Coke … its the real thing

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Both my wife and I got off of all sugar about five years ago, including soda and absolutely no artificial sweeteners too. It has been great to be off of that stuff, but every once in awhile I still want a Coke. I don't give in, but Mrs. Obsessed does once in a rare while. I can now taste food so much better than ever before. I think we tend to develop the sweet parts of our tongue more than the other parts. I lost my post competitive years of 25 pounds and can taste the nuances of coffee and wine like never before. It is quite amazing, but cutting out sugar is really tough.

Whatizitman likes this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Or you can just wear the logo:) Keef was a big fan, apparently.

D097BAC2-E701-4623-B796-95DD044AAE2B.jpeg

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The reason people are saying diet soda can contribute to weight gain is the artificial sweeteners in some studies have been shown to cause some weird influences on people's behavior. You're more likely to overeat when you're drinking diet soda with 0 calories at a meal.

It is the same reasoning behind studies showing drinking whole milk does not cause weight gain vs skim milk. Whole milk causes people to feel satiated/full faster and they eat less other stuff.

At least we know what sugar is.. way better to just have a "real" coke once in a while instead of diet soda constantly. I notice a lot of people who have diet have it every single day. I have 1-2 full sugar ones a month or so instead, same kind of thing as beer. I'd rather have a small amount of really good stuff even if it's high calorie than drink 2-3x more of awful tasting cheap light beer. I'm not gaining any weight.

I usually actually won't get soda unless I see the "mexican coke" that still comes in the glass bottles. It has sugar instead of HFCS. Way better IMO.

There's also "green coke" when you can find it. It has sugar + stevia and has about 1/2 the sugar of normal coke. It also tastes a lot better than HFCS coke or diet coke/coke zero.

HFCS Soda is mostly gross IMO.. tastes like I'm drinking maple syrup straight. Feels horrible in your mouth. I usually dilute it like crazy with ice if I have something with HFCS.

Flakey likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

have not had a coke in a long time... love mexican coke... it is the stuff that tastes like the coke of my childhood.... I always loved dr. pepper the most... soda... it is a young man's game!

fnkmstr likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

If you are buying and drinking coke by the cases, then yeah, Mexican bottled coke is a lot more expensive.

Single 24oz plastic bottled coke in machines costs roughly the same as one Mex coke (1 liter) nowadays. That's still more expensive, but getting in the ballpark.

The point being, quality versus quantity. Yet another good reason to cut down, or cut out completely, regular soda drinking.

Savor a good Coke on special occasions. Save your body and money on every other day. Once your taste buds stabilize to needing less sweet soda, you will not need as much as a serving, anyway.

A 1 liter bottle of Mex coke is heaven. And one is all it takes.

OTOH, all it takes is one or two diet Cokes or Coke Zeros to start up the coke cravings, and down the rabbit hole of buying cases. I swear that stuff is crack. It takes discipline to not buy cans or 2 liter bottles at the grocery store. Run by the soda isle if you have to.

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. THIS. It's just that for those of us who have had daily regular and/or diet coke habits, it takes a while to get to this point. But oh so worth it.

Back in HS in the 80s so many girls were hooked on diet coke. I called it the Diet Coke breakfast. We were sold the crap about weight loss and diet sodas ever since the Tab days. Their thinking was that the carbonation made them feel full enough to not want to eat breakfast.

I would like to think as a country we've move past that. Sadly, though, the 90s and 2000s saw the explosion of schools sponsoring soda sales on campus. When I was in school, you couldn't buy sodas. You had to bring your own. So, no, we haven't.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I only drink one or two “sodas” every other month—at most—and it’s usually a Dr. Pepper or an orange Jarrito.

You can find Dr. Pepper with cane sugar if you look a little bit, and it definitely tastes better.

I don’t know what’s in Jarritos, but they’re awesome.

If I’m not drinking water, 95% of the time, I’m drinking unsweetened ice tea and the other 5% is coffee.

16. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Yep!

Mexican Coke has cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

I like it too much so only have it occasionally...I'd drink 6 packs if left un attended!

But there's something about a Coke that cures a lot of ills...

17. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

#1 Mexican Coca-Cola
    #2 Cole Zero

18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jarritos is sugar IIRC but I find it kind of gross too cause it has like 60g of sugar in a 12oz can or something. It's incredibly sweet.

We have some "boutique sodas" around here, you see them occasionally at restaurants. They'll have maybe 15g of sugar or so instead of 37-40g of most american sodas and I find they taste quite a bit better to me.

19. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

I just got here, I'm not Florida man, yet...

The kosher Passover Coke has the cane sugar as well.

idjster and Texicaster like this.
  20. Nightclub Dwight

I totally agree. Coke is my downfall and weakness. I'm trying to eliminate it from my life, and I have made a lot of progress this summer by drinking unsweetened iced tea. In my case, I'm addicted to the sugar, so I have made a real effort to eliminate it. Its not easy reversing a lifetime's worth of bad choices in that department. Aside from the sugar, I eat a very healthy diet. I don't drink coffee, so I got in the habit of drinking Coke instead. I'm getting there, but it has taken a lot of effort on my part.

Whatizitman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.