Question, early 70's Tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Old Plank, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a neck pickup from either a '71 or '72 Tele, that I'm thinking of using for a partscaster. Would it be likely that it has less output than today's single coil/neck pickups in general ... understanding o course that there's plenty of hotter versions available, but just on average if they were more modest output back then. Thanks.

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've had early 70s Tele pickup as low as 4.7k. Actually sounded fairly good, clean and transparent.

Old Plank and BB like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably in the low 6k range. That's not the only determinant of output. Robben Ford likes them for their mellowness I believe.

If it were me I'd put it up for someone restoring a 70s. It's not worth a squillion bucks. But a bit.

Old Plank likes this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

My 72 Tele has an original neck pickup with a 7.3k reading. Sounds great with the 66 bridge pickup I paired with it a couple of years ago.

Old Plank and BB like this.
  5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

The neck pickup in my 71 Tele was a thing of beauty. I made up a new control plate with 250K pots and put the original with 1meg pots away till I sold it.

The pickup was similar in tone (tho a bit less 'strata like) to one of my fav's, the Dimarzio Twang King. Seriously, a great bluesy tone from it.

Old Plank likes this.
  6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Simple answer; measure it and compare.

Old Plank likes this.
  7. Old Plank

Thanks to all for the input and advice, psyched to move ahead and get it fired up again after it being tucked away for 40 years when I changed it out for a Dimarzio humbucker; I traded the guitar away a dozen years later.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

This is a little off topic, but was that guitar a white '73?

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

They are usually hotter than in the 50s and early 60s. Usually around or above 7k (with awg43 wire, comparable to like 5.5k with awg42). IMO they sound brighter and better than the late 60s tele neck pickups because of the NS cover that Fender seemed to have been using from about 1970 onwards (with the more rounded edges compared to the older brass covers).

telemnemonics and Old Plank like this.
  10. Old Plank

sorry haven't figured out the quote function yet; so no the guitar was either a
    '71 or '72, yellow, maple fretboard, that I bought in spring '74.

11. Old Plank

Thanks for this info Antoon; this one does have the rounded edges ... I think the reason I changed it out was a hankering for a humbucker due to heavy Allmans listening, but I'm psyched to put it back in use, just gotta find it somewhere buried in my son's closet!

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.