1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

question concerning wiring

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Hey everyone,
    So I have a question about wiring kits. I have one from stewmac for telecaster and I have done a few dry runs with the wiring and such so that my wires aren't too long (I don't want to have a braided wire shorting anything) and I have touched the pots caps etc. Will small amounts human oils or any other oils (in winter I need hand lotion once a day, but I never do it right before I touch guitar parts) damage or effect the wiring kit? I am assuming it doesn't and that I am being paranoid but I'm no electrician or guitar technician and I just want to make sure. I will also probably wipe a piece of dry gauze over any spots that will be soldered before I do it anyway.

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

You're being a wee bit paranoid.

That being said, if you are *really* concerned about corrosion you can take a piece of paper towel sprayed with Windex (window cleaner) over the areas you touched to remove any built-up oils from your fingers.

By the way, many hand lotions are petroleum-based. While I wouldn't coat all of my contacts with them, they are not highly corrosive. What corrodes stuff is the acid and salts in the natural oils on your hands.

And, for the record: "it puts the lotion on it's skin..."

Edit: I program and I tend to get splits on my fingers especially during the winter where the air is cold and dry. I know what you are dealing with.

Marn99 likes this.
  3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I seem to recall sometime back that there was a concern that the actual rosin in the solder was also corrosive over time. I think we used rubbing alcohol with Q-tips to get rid of it after soldering up boards. So that might be another avenue to go.

And, as a safety tip - don't use the alcohol WHILE you are soldering. That would be "bad."

Marn99 likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The only concern might be that solder won't flow properly to a not-clean metal surface. Don't worry about the oils in your skin. We don't all go around wearing glove to solder. But maybe go easy on the lotion before handling the components.

Marn99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.