QUESTION: Can this be Done on a Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AFSOL, May 17, 2014.

1. AFSOL

AFSOL TDPRI Member

Greetings, All.

Per recommendation from a guitar tech, I have registered with TDPRI to ask a specific question.

My question is, is this technically / physically possible with a tele.

BACKGROUND

I have been playing for over 30 years, but my skill and knowledge do not reflect that. : ) I am not a technical person, this is just an idea that popped in my head, based on my musical tastes and preference in guitars.

I would like to get a Squier Telecaster Custom, which has the regular, full size Les Paul style humbucker pickups. I would love a Tele that I can get both a twanky, country Tele sound, and a warm, hard rock (dare I say), metal sound. To that end, I would like to buy two sets of SC size pickups. I would like to take the HBs out, and replace with a set of GFS "Pure Vintage" Neovin Noiseless Tele Pair (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pure-Vintage-Neovin-Noiseless-Tele-Pair_p_651.html), and a set of Calibrated Pickup Set "Hot Lead" Lil Puncher Import Telecaster (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Hot-Lead-Lil-Puncher-Import-Telecaster_p_149.html).

Basically the two SC size PUs would go where the full size HBs once were, and the bridge PUs from each set would go into the bridge slot, and the two neck PUs from each set would go in the neck slot. And then have a switch or push/pulls to go back and forth between the two sets / tones.

....... I plan on doing the same thing with my Agile AL-2000 Les Paul copy.

So, …. is this possible?

While it makes sense that two SCs slammed together would fit where a full size HB once was, I do not presume that. True?

OBTW, hum is an issue for me. I realize I could coil-tap the full size HBs, but you still have the hum when you go to SC, which I am trying to reduce as much as possible. While I do want that twanky Tele sound for my country musical tastes, I will actually sacrifice some twank to reduce or get rid of the hum. I just cannot tolerate the SC hum. Just a personal thing.

So, once more, is this possible? Also, anything I am missing or don’t know as other ways to achieve the same end state?

Thanks, everyone!

2. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Two single coils wouldn't fit in the existing slots due to the size of the pickup baseplates. I think there are other ways to get what you want to achieve. Read up on dummy coils to kick the hum: http://frettech.com/dummy/

I also think the right combination of pickups and wiring would do what you want without pondering concepts that are likely too difficult if not impossible to implement. A four way switch comes to mind. This fourth position puts both pickups in series yielding a thicker, humbucker type sound.

Read through these forums and you'll find a wealth of information.

3. tone57

tone57 Tele-Meister

ahh responded before finishing your post. nevermind.

4. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic

If I understand you correctly , you want to mount 2 tele bridge pups side by side in a humbucker cavity and 2 tele neck pups the same way ? The neck pups would be easier but the baseplates would limit how close you could get them to each other . I'm guessing there may be a half inch gap between the 2 bridge pups , based on the baseplate shape . You would most likely have to enlarge the body cavities as well . As far as wiring it up , I'm sure that would be possible , but I wouldn't want to attempt it myself . I've pieced a few partscasters together but nothing quite like this . Z54

5. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic

Oops , too late on the draw also ... Z54

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Take a good look at doing something much simpler:

2 Duncan PRails and 4 P/P switches.

I think you'd be happier with the results... and if not it's completely reversible.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

FWIW a humbucker IS two coils slammed together. For all practical purposes any 4 or 5 wire humbucker will do the same thing. the rest is wiring.

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

+1 I have four push/pull pots on my LP copy. I can coil tap or run parallel instead of series. Both of those options are a bit "Twangy". Not the same as a tele pickup, but familiar. There are other options as well with that settup like reverse phase etc.

[​IMG]

9. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

My suggestion is that you get a set of Joe Barden Two-Tone humbuckers. The "humbucker" tones are in paf territory (not high output metal territory) and the "single coil" (though noiseless) settings sound like, well, Joe Barden pickups, clearly in the Strat/Tele territory but with more sonic options as you use your tone and volume controls. These will drop right into your guitar and won't require any weird/exotic wiring except a dpdt switch for each pickup, you can put in separate mini-switches between the tone and volume controls on a standard tele control plate, or use replacement 250K pots with a switch built into the bottom, either push-push or push pull, your call. Both the "single coil" mode and the "humbucker mode" sound great and strong, no compromises as there will always be when splitting the coils on a standard humbucker. And noiseless in both positions. http://shop.joebarden.com/c/guitar-pickups_hb-two-tone-dual-mode-humbuckers

This demo isn't in a tele but it gives you a good idea

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think my head just exploded! :eek:

11. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Duncan P-Rails with Triple shot mounting rings in a G&L ASAT Deluxe.

[​IMG]

Four options per pickup series / parallel / single coil / P90. And they can be combined in any combination. Not as twangy as a regular Tele but it does the job. In a lefty guitar the mini switches in the mounting rings are at the first string.
    The original mini switch for splitting the p'ups is redundant.

[​IMG]

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/medium-output/prails_shpr1/

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/accessories/triple-shot-mou/triple_shot_swi/

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Mine DID, when I wired it. lol

13. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

The Joe Barden Mentioned and the PRails mentioned are different from normal humbuckers in the sense that EVERY coil is intended to be able to be used for a different Single coil sound.

14. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

If you thought Deaf Eddies diagram was rough, here is the diagram for the Gibson Jimmy Page #2 LP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  15. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

There you go! And I bet they sound great live and in person.

I don't have much faith in internet videos, sorry.

17. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Another thing you could try, but really more effective for a strat... add a switch to put bridge/middle and/or middle/neck in series.With the RWRP middle pickup, it's kinda sorta like a humbucker (noise cancelling). But the series wiring would bring the tone down towards PAF territory. Or do the same thing with the existing Tele pickups (but you need 2 wire plus shield pickups). With only two pickups, it would only work in middle switch position, obviously.

Oops, wait, you said you have humbuckers... well, then the two guitar option also works!

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  18. AFSOL

AFSOL TDPRI Member

ANOTHER QUESTION: Jor Barden 2T vs Duncan P Rails

THANK YOU, everyone! I did look at the JB 2T video, plus looked at other videos and did research. ...... The JB 2T makes it clear that SC has no hum, ...... Is this also true for the Duncan P Rails?

I could not find an answer as to whether Duncan P Rails are no hum at SC and P90. Do the Duncan P Rails also market themselves as no hum in SC and P90?

Thanks!

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a set in one of my guitars (mounted in Triple Shots). They're not hum canceling when just the P90 or single coil is selected.

Since we're throwing around all of the options here, another one to consider is a dummy coil, which would make a standard single coil hum-canceling without any significant tonal changes. The only issue is finding a place to stash it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.