1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question About Zoom Effects Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Collegefbfan15, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Collegefbfan15

Collegefbfan15 TDPRI Member

I have a Zoom G1on and really like it. I just bought an Acoustic G20 Lead Series amp. The amp has no effects. If I create a patch on my Zoom pedal, do I need an amp sim effect? Is that just for recording to a PC? My thinking is my Acoustic amp will have a super clean sound dialed in. If I create a patch on the Zoom with just overdrive and say reverb, I shouldn’t need to add an amp effect like a Marshall or Bogner, right? Thanks.

2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

You really shouldn't... but there are no rules: try it both ways and see what you like.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

I agree. Multi-Fx amp-sims are usually designed for direct recording or for getting a good sound playing through a PA rather than a guitar amp. So I’d normally turn the sims off. However if there’s a sound you like through the amp with the sims on, there’s no reason why you should’nt use it.

Just one word of caution, multi-fx settings that might sound great at home don’t always work playing with other musicians. E.g. a little too much reverb in a live situation can easily turn your ‘tone’ into a ‘mush’ that just gets lost in the band mix.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. Collegefbfan15

Hey, many thanks for the quick replies. I just never thought about using the Zoom pedal for recording to a PC. I will never do that. Don’t have the tools anyway. So, just use a few different effects to build a patch without an amp effect sim. I have never done that because all of the ones online have an amp sim, but I bet they are recording. Especially the ones on YouTube. For you guys that use multi effects pedals, any suggestions for a slightly overdriven blues tone? Which effects would you put in the chain? Thanks again.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I use a Zoom B-2 for a bass preamp, driving a power amp and bass cab, and sometimes I use it with guitar into the FX return jack on my amp’s effects loop.

With bass, I never use the speaker cab simulations, even recording direct to computer. I just like how it sounds better without it.

With guitar, I usually select one of the three onboard sims, at least if I’ve dialed in a pretty crunchy rock sound.

My point is, try it all and use what sounds best to you...no rules!

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a zoom GFX707 with the amp sims as well they do change the sound alot but are selectable and the effect amount is selectable as well , play with it see what works for you, if the sims work with your amp and give you the desired effect you want , then why not ...make it your own, my system is fairly elaborate with the 707 going into 2 chanels on my mixer for a stereo effect and a swell pedal to fade the sound as a volume pedal , so it's a matter of how much zoom do i want to use.

bottom line , try everything there are no wrong answers, you know what you like .

7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I have the MS-50g, it allow me to select what kind of system I am plugged into for my amp models, not sure if the G1on has that same feature. Essentially it changes the eq based on whether I'm plugged into the front of a combo, front of a stack, FX loop of an amp, or running direct into a PA. The direct to PA setting sounds terrible going into the front of an amp, and visa versa.

8. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

That my friend is the crukxt of biskit so to speak.

When someone says "this amp takes pedals well" or "it's good pedal platform" that usually means a clean neutral loud amp that just amplifies the pedal chain as cleanly as possible.

However; people chain amps all of the time so feel free to experiment. Mesa Boogie into a Marshall? Hummmmm who knows . . . . .might be fun . . .

9. Collegefbfan15

Is a clean amp sound usually bass, middle, and treble set at 12 o’clock position? What about gain setting on amp?

10. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Soometimes a good place to start, but not always.

Plug in guitar, turn them all down, turn one up and down a few times to be able to hear which frequencies it controls.
    Then dial them all in till it sounds pleasing to you.
    Write the settings down, try it for a while then change it some and see if it is better . . .

It will probably change depending on how loud you are playing.
    At higher volume to might have to turn the bass down or treble up.

Ok Gain and volume are where Overdrive come from.... For clean, max volume minimle Gain... For Overdrive Min Volume Max Gain...

So the gain is the preamp circuit and the volume is the power amp circuit. Don't force too much signal into the power amp and you will get a clean amplificastion. You may need to turn the Zoom master volume down a bit as well.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  11. Collegefbfan15

Just checking on the gain aspect because some of the effect settings have gain on them. Would they “battle” each other? Gain in patch and gain on amp.

12. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Not battle pretty much the second will amplify it again so double the distortions but might have issues with time based effects like delay.

13. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I had a G1X-Four for a few months. It had separate effects blocks for amp and speaker cab. So you could use an amp model similar to an OD/Distorion/Pre-amp without the speaker cab simulation. I did that through my non-reverb Princeton and it seemed to work well that way. Direct to PA I'd add the speaker cab sim. That would probably be a better way to get certain tones, especially for higher gain stuff like a Soldano, Bogner, Diezel, etc. vs. using the pedal effects.

In the end, just try it and see what you like best. You can't hurt anything.

PS: I got the G1X to use primarily with acoustic guitar so didn't play or experiment a whole lot with the amp or cab models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.