1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about Vox AC15CH speaker outputs, it has two! Two?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by etype, Mar 11, 2020.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have been looking into the Vox AC15CH and there is something I cannot quite figure out.

The Vox AC15CH has two speaker output jacks and two ohm settings, 8ohm and 16ohm. The manual say the following:

From the Vox instruction manual.
    "HEAD LOUDSPEAKER: The two LOUDSPEAKER Jacks are connected in parallel. You can connect one or two 16 Ohm cabinets. You can only connect one 8 ohm cabinet. Be sure to set the IMPEDANCE SELECT switch accordingly."

So I take it to mean you can run any of the following:
    one 8 ohm cabinet at the 8 ohm setting
    or
    one 16ohm cabinet at the 16ohm setting
    or
    two 32ohm cabinets at the 16 ohm setting
    or
    two 16ohm cabinets at the 8ohm setting.

Do I have that right?

Second question, the Blackstar 2x12 cabinet has four input jacks. Two say "Stereo, right 8ohm, left 8ohm", one says "16ohm mono" and one says "4ohm mono".

I am assuming you could either run one speaker cable from the Vox to the 16ohm mono jack or two speaker cables from the Vox into the right and left 8ohm stereo jacks on the cabinet. But it wouldn't matter which as I don't see anywhere that the two outputs send stereo signals.

Thanks!

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Just match your ohms.....16 ohm jack, 1-16 ohm speaker or 2-8 ohms wired in serial.
    8-ohm jack 1-8 ohm your two 4 ohm speakers wired serial.
    Parallel means divide 2-16 ohms will give you 8 ohms.
    Serial you add ohms 2- 4 ohms will give you 8 ohms.

3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. The directions are not that clear. It looks like you'd have to use two 32ohm cabs (or one 16 ohm) if you wanted to set the amp at 16ohms (which you need to do to use the attenuator).

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Two 8 ohm speakers in series gets you to 16 ohms. Never heard of a 32 ohm speaker.
    Your two Jack's are wired in parallel...... That means if you put one 16 ohm speaker in each output you would have an 8 ohm load.

5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. Yeah, to get a 32ohm cabinet you'd have to wire two 16ohm speakers in series. Then using both with the amp would get you back to 16ohm. That would be crazy though... just trying to make sure I get my understanding right.

ce24 likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Your initial post is correct.

etype and ce24 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.