question about vintage ampeg reverberocket

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Psinatra, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Psinatra

Psinatra Tele-Meister

is there a difference between an R-12R and an R-12RB?

I'm seeing in some places that the reverberocket is a 12w and in other places that it's an 18w.

I'm looking at buying one and I just want to make sure I'm getting what I want

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on the tube compliment. The Reverberocket was introduced in 1961, and was the first amp to be equipped with a built-in reverb.

The early ones, like this 2x 6V6 beast made in 1961, is rated at 15 watts. The preamp section is 2x 6SL7, and 2x 6SN7. The rectifier is a 5Y3GT. This one stays in my living room :eek:)

[​IMG]

Later versions ran a pair of 7591s or 7868s. The 7868 circuit is easily rewired to accept 7591s.

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Looking at the schematics. A difference in power transformer or output transformer is not indicated. No indication of wattage rating. They both show the same 7591 power tubes.

The R-12R uses 12AX7 where the R-12RB uses lower mu octals. Ime the R-12R would produce more gain but that does not equate to more loudness. IDK which might have a better sounding breakup.

King Fan and Psinatra like this.
  4. Psinatra

Psinatra Tele-Meister

the one I'm looking at is a '63. I think my old one was a 62

I've just never seen the "B" at the end before. I see some '63's with an "A" at the end as well

I'm guessing they modified it every year

5. Psinatra

Psinatra Tele-Meister

interesting. so there is a slight difference.

now...I'm not really an amp guy and I don't know much about tubes.

are the tubes on this hard to find? I worry about that with old amps

6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

New production tubes are available, if you can't find the old ones.

One thing to consider. The octal tubes tend to have more problem with microphonics due to their size.

The smaller 9 pin Noval tubes were made to replace the octal tubes so they can sound very much alike. As with all tubes, many will sound different, but I am not convinced that a octal vs Noval makes that difference. OMMV.

I mentioned the R-12RB will have more gain in the preamp. Lower gain tubes can be used to have similar gain as the R-12R. Likewise higher gain tubes can be used in the R-12R.

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great info here. As a total Ampeg dummy, I was under the impression there was a 6V6 version. Yes no?

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It is confusing with these Reverberocket. I find a number of schematics. The only one that appears to be a factory Ampeg schematic is for a Reverberocket 3 and that is the one that runs Noval 12-7—tubes. I find a Reverberocket 2 that runs some 12AX7 tubes…as well as a 7199, which is a triode/pentode Noval. There are Reverberockets that run Compactron 12 pin triple triodes..
    6U10 and 6BK11 tubes. Then there are the early models that run the octals in the preamp. if I wanted a Reverberocket, I would have to figure out which one I wanted. Confusing..imho. Perhaps this site would have more details??
    http://www.vintageampeg.com/forum/

9. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

I had one like Peegoo showed with the octals and 6V6's.
    And also what I think they call a TV front (?) later model (shown below) that had the 12AX7's and 7199.
    Can't remember the power tubes but they're long and skinny.
    If I looked in my tube drawer, I probably have an extra set of them.
    I always backed up all tubes in all amps, and when I sold the amp I'd have the extra tubes for it, so I still have them all even tho the amps are gone.

Not both at the same time tho, a few short years apart.

They're both awesome, but I liked the 'TV' front better.
    Why?
    Because the panel is large enough to put a 1-15" speaker innit, which I did and it was f-in' Awesome.
    I had a Weber P15NT in it and I just loved loved loved that amp.
    I loved the other one too, but the top-mount didn't have reverb (on mine)
    Maybe it was a Rocket or a Jet, but it didn't have reverb, but it did have the 2-6V6's and the octals.
    And in comparison, the smaller cab sounded more 'boxy' and contained than the TV front, which sounded huge in comparison.

This will take a 15" and has gorgeous reverb.
    It doesn't quite have the thick grind of the 6V6/octals when juiced, but what it does have, I slightly preferred.

The thing I remember about that amp, and I don't know if it was the amp characteristics or the speaker...
    But up to about 3, maybe 4, it was gorgeous and huge sounding with the 15.
    Just the most luscious beautiful big clean sound you ever heard.
    But when you goosed it up to 5 or above, it sounded like the speaker compressed into a 12".
    It was the weirdest thing, never had an amp that behaved like that before.
    It didn't get all flubby-tubby weirded-out 15" losing its lunch, it got tighter and meaner and compressed.
    Like the 15" had squeezed itself into a 12".
    It just sounded great no matter what you used it for or where it was on the dial.

I will admit, when I sold that amp I put the stock 12" back in it and kept the Weber P15NT, still have it.
    I've been threatening myself to make a 1-15" SFDR with it for about 15 years now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    BB likes this.
  10. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

Back in the mid-60's when I was first in a band, the local music store had a few Reverberockets for weekend rentals so that's what I used. I haven't played one since but I sure loved them then.

11. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic

I wonder if the rectifier is also a key difference. My ET-2a has tube rectifiers whereas I believe the ET-2bs are solid state. Google yields some photos of R-12rb tube charts with the 5y3s crossed out. Also, once had an R-12rb with solid state rectification. It was a nice amp for sure.

12. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I've owned a few of them - in fact a Reverb-Rocket was the first "real" amp I owned

In the later 1960's you could buy them used in real good shape for $50 or $60 bucks

As I recall, all three of mine had slight differences - but they all sounded very good and suited the type of music I've always played - blues and blues/rock :)

Psinatra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.