Question about using a teak cutting board

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fretman_2, Aug 30, 2014.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

I found some really nice teak cutting boards at a local salvage store. Two and a partial were enough for a top once cut on my table saw. But they've been oiled. The oil only seeped in about an eight or so and most of that will cut out in the thickness planer. Will any of that oil prevent the pieces from being glued together??

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

3. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I had the same concern when I had to glue a cocobolo fingerboard to my sapele neck for my thinline build.
    The cocobolo was so oily, when I cut it at the table saw the the whole workshop get full with smoke from oil that was burning.
    I have read somewhere that acetone is the solution, so for two days I was rubbing the fretboard with acetone, after that I glue it....unfortunately, I had to unglue it some days after and that was a hard procedure.
    The second one I glue is still there....

4. rackham

rackham Tele-Meister

I put a teak fretboard onto a mahogany neck a couple of years ago.

Scrubbed the back of it with acetone and then used regular white glue (pva). It stuck fast and remains where it ought to be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.