Question about Tru-oil

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mrplavick, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm finishing a parts Tele with Tru-oil and it seems no matter what I use to apply it, bits of lint are left behind. I've tried well worn tee shirt material, wiping cloths made from tee shirt material, and circular finish wiping pads from Woodcraft. Seems like I can lift most of it out when I scuff between coats with a scotchbrite pad, but is there something I could be doing differently to avoid it in the first place?

BTW - I'm following the procedure from LMII ( http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm ) i.e., wipe on a thin wet coat and then immediately wipe off the excess)

2. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

I have always wiped it on with my finger, rubbing it into the wood as evenly as possible, going in one direction...like spreading out paint. I absolutely love this Tru-oil on a maple neck!

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I think I applied mine with my fingers and wiped it off with a paper towel. It's been a while, so I'm not exactly sure. I ended up taking 0000 steel wool to the final coat - not to remove lint - just to give it an even-looking satin finish.

4. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Don't worry about it. As the finish soaks into the wood, the lint is left high and 'dry' and is easily rubbed off just using a thumb or when you do the final polish.

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I applied mine with a bag o' rags, basically just pieces of old t-shirts. I too had some lint issues, but just kept going, with some 0000 steel wool every few coats. I probably had a total of about 20 coats, and the final buffing left no signs of lint. Don't sweat it.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Banned

Use your fingers. I haven't used Tru-Oil on guitars, but have refinished several rifles with it, and fingers are the ONLY way to go for application. Finish off with steel wool, ending with OOOO, then "Stock Sheen & Conditioner" for the final finish.

7. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll just keep at it with scotchbrite between coats. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post soon.

For those who apply with their fingers - what cleans it off?

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Banned

I think I used stuff like "GoJo" oil-based hand cleaner (been a few years) but it's not hard to clean Tru-Oil off your hands.

BTW, buffing vigorously with your fingers (build up some heat!) is a great way to buff it out. I used to do that between coats when it was on the verge of being dry, and you can really smooth it out that way.

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

+1...Fingers are Best...they don't leave lint...and for you Nancy Boys...Lava Soap will take it right off....it only hurts for a Teensy bit......;)

10. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

I put my next coat of Tru-oil on with my fingers and I had a lot more control of the application and no lint. Cleaned up with naptha. Thanks again.

11. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I also had lint problems when applying TruOil - I ended up using regular kitchen dish-cleaning sponges cut up into small pieces; they were only good for one coat each, as the sponges would harden up when the TruOil cured.
    Oh, and I cut the TruOil with turpentine (about 2:1), which made applying it easier...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.