1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about tight fret slots

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RicoC3PO, Dec 2, 2020.

1. RicoC3PO

RicoC3PO TDPRI Member

Hi, I am building my first guitar and have cut the fret slots with a japanese razor saw, however the slots seem too narrow to get the frets in. Is there any danger of splitting the fret board if I press them in without widening? The only other blade I have is a hacksaw blade which is too wide by about the width of a bee's... It's too wide and the fret that I tried it on is not seated firmly enough. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The slots need to be at least as wide as the tang of the fret. It is OK if the barbs stick out further. Just take a fret and see if it slips in the slot from the bottom of the fret between the barbs. If it is too tight, you may need different frets or a different saw.

If the fret tangs are too wide for the slots, it may create a nasty backbow in the neck with each fret pushing the fingerboard apart. It will also make installing the frets a nightmare.

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

What do the fret slots *measure*?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

RicoC3PO likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Take a piece of your fret wire and file the barbs off of it. I like to bend it into an L shape like shown. Use it to test the slots - if the little gauge fits and goes down to the crown then your fret will too. If it won't, widen (or deepen) the slot

IMG_2930.JPG

ps - if you change fretwire make a new one out of the new stuff. The tangs vary even within the same manufacturer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister

when you get the slot width sorted ... I use a triangular file to widden the very top of the slot itself 2-3 trokes is usually enough... so the barbs still are able to hold, practice on some scrap wood to get an idea , not doing this can introduce back bow to your neck. Don't ask me how I know this.

7. Larkins

Larkins Tele-Meister

Recently I replaced my fretsaw with one from hartville hardware via eBay (no affiliation).

$30 shipped brand new, as far as I can tell it’s the same as what stewmac sells.

8. RicoC3PO

RicoC3PO TDPRI Member

This group is a fountain of knowledge, thanks for all of your replies. I did not even consider that back bow could be a result. I'm going to get a new saw and do it correctly, even though the guitar is nowhere near finished I'm really happy with the results so far and intend to make quite a few more. I guess I'd better make the next one a Tele!

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. guitarbuilder

I don't believe this is the case. It's the barbs doing the back bowing and they are still being jammed in there. The chamfer is to avoid chipping on fret removal, easier installation by allowing the fret to start a little more easily, and more significantly, to allow the fret's fillet to seat. The fillet is the curved shape where the tang meets the bead. The fillet is produced by the extrusion process in making the fretwire. I talk about this in most of my neck build threads.

If the fret slot is smaller than the fret without the barbs, then it is a case of an interference fit which expands the slot to accommodate the fret.

See this thread post 361

Let's make a neck! | Page 19 | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

If you're not certain about the width of the slot a saw cuts... simply make a cut or two in a scrap piece of hard wood then take feeler gauges and check... now ya know...

John Nicholas, Boreas and DrASATele like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You can also adjust the kerf of your saw cut width to be exactly what you want, instead of buying a new saw.

I use a $10 mini pull saw from Harbor Freight that has too much kerf so I hammered the kerf narrower to get the right size fret slots. Then I used double-sided tape to hold a depth stop strip of wood to the side, which also stiffens the saw blade for straighter cuts.

Here is how Paul Sellers sets saw teeth.

Running a triangle file along the top of a fret slot to break the edges and put a slight lead-in bevel makes installing frets easier and if the frets need to be replaced after many years of playing you'll have less chip-out so the repair guy will give you a thumbs up from the future.

Other advice: only install stainless steel frets.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

One more little recommendation. I always glue frets in - just a couple of dots of medium CA or a swipe of HHG before I press it in. I think it is very important with bound fretboards and it seems to lubricate the slot, I used to wick the CA in the ends of the slots but since I do mostly bound boards now I just put a two tiny dots near the binding. I figure that anyone refretting one of my boards better be using heat when the pull the frets.

And make sure the slots are really really clean. If you've been sanding on the f/b there will be dust in the slots - get it all out. An Xacto knife works pretty well for cleaning the slot, then check it with the little L that I showed before.

IMG_2931.JPG

crazydave911 and Boreas like this.
  14. guitarbuilder

I can't for the life of me, imagining somebody trying to set the teeth on a fret saw. I'd need an electron microscope.

crazydave911 and RickyRicardo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.