1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about the nut on a deluxe strat I saw at GC

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Syclone879, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Syclone879

Syclone879 Tele-Meister

I saw a used Deluxe Strat at GC. It had a metal nut that had two ball bearings that the string slides through. I've never seen this before. I like the guitar but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this and if this style nut is better/worse than the traditional bone or synthetic bone nut.

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

It works great if you use divebomb trem techniques a lot because the strings won't hang up in the nut (which is the primary reason for guitars going out of tune when bending or using a trem--tuners take a lot of blame that they do not deserve). However, it can't be adjusted for height by filing if, say, you have the frets leveled or the neck refretted--you have to shim the nut or remove wood from the neck.

It is also my understanding that these nuts are optimized for a single string gauge (9's or 10's, whatever was OEM on the guitar)...they may "sort of work" with a smaller string then they are designed for, but definitely not with a larger one.

George

3. Syclone879

Syclone879 Tele-Meister

Interesting! Thank you for that information.

Does anyone know if these nuts come standard on the deluxe because none of the deluxes on Fenders site show a metal nut.

4. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Some kind of locker init? For folks who cant keep strings from slipping and going out of tune.
    Some folks brutalize their strings with the tremelo (sic) and stretch or loosen I guess. I saw a vid of a yng teen hammering a hundred notes a second all the while yanking the trem arm like it was his joystick. I can see where locking nuts or tuners might be useful to him.
    Also favored by those who have never learned to properly string their guitars
    I shouldnt be so smug, I likely dont play enough to have problems, Im still an old student. Maybe I will someday have a guitar with that problem. So far my fenders behave and stay in tune pretty well.
    Ive noticed you seldom see those except on humbucker models. I guess its a 'shredder' thing.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. Colt W. Knight

I used .009"s through .012"s sets on these LSR equipped guitars with no issues. There is a gap between the ball bearings, so if the string was small enough it could fall through. I can't see how using a larger string would effect its use.

Issues I have seen with these LSRs have always been setup issues.

7. Syclone879

Syclone879 Tele-Meister

8. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister

I have a deluxe with that non adjustable metal nut, I never liked the fact that you cant adjust individual string heights, so much so that I got to the point that I wouldn't bother playing it because there was no way to change the setup to make it any better. Also from what I understand the neck has a particular curve and no amount of trussrod adjusting would make it any flatter than when it was purchased (total bummer) .All this made for a less than what I would call an ideal setup. So the first thing that I ever built was a neck for my deluxe Strat. After that I got the bug and built 4 Telecasters complete from scratch ,3 for the kids 1 for me :) , next build will be a Strat, after I finish the Tele thinline :D . My advice build your own neck cause you wont ever be satisfied with the nut that's on the original .Also hope you have a strong back and good shoulders (mine is swamp ash, weighs 11+pounds)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Colt--thanks for the correction. After some googling, I found that the LSR roller nut will take multiple string gauges and comes with shims for adjustment:

http://www.fender.com/series/fender/lsr-roller-nut/

Threre was a Wilkinson roller nut which did NOT lend itself to multiple gauges used on some earlier Fender Deluxe strats...not being a trem user, and mostly a tele player, my roller nut "red flag" was set to be wary of string gauges, but this was probably what I knew of the Wilkinson nut.

Thanks--you helped me learn something.
    George

10. Colt W. Knight

The LSR actually comes with parts to retrofit the Wilkinson equipped roller nuts.

Honestly, the roller nuts are only useful if you bang the hell out of the whammy bar. They may or may not negatively effect the tone of a guitar. I put the roller nut on that blue strat because I wanted see how far I could go with a trem.

11. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister

This is the nut that came on mine , no radius to it ,just flat across.

[​IMG]

12. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Jeff Beck uses the LSR on his Strats FWIW. Having said that, I've always been sceptical about that nut. I just see problems ahead when the bearings get clogged with beer, sweat and general gunk and funk.

Anybody have experience with the clogging?

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I had a MiM that had the LSR. No idea if it was stock or not as I got the guitar second hand, but it seemed to work well and there were no tuning issues on that Strat, even when using the term arm heavily.

14. Colt W. Knight

I have never seen one clog. Even if it it did get cruddy after years of service, you could take it off ( remove two screws) and spray it with something like brake part cleaner or wd40.

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

That makes sense(since?). Not in the market for one ATM, but you never know when GAS will strike

16. mechtech

mechtech TDPRI Member

Not making LSRs with different radius available is laughably ignorant.
    Because they are great, otherwise.

17. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

The roller nut is the only reason I bought the Blue Strat Plus back in 1994 over a Hamer Daytona. I recently put the White Deluxe Model together. It does not look like it but it's a Partscaster. I still prefer the Strat Plus over any other model even the Deluxe because it has a slightly fatter C profile neck which I prefer.

The 1994 Strat Plus Roller Nut has never been lubed or cleaned. Works perfect almost 20 years now.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.