1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about Tea Tree Oil on rosewwod fretboard ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by buckwalder, Sep 4, 2015.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Has anyone used this on their rosewood ? For the record I haven't tried it but I am curious.

2. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Why would anyone want to use tea tree oil for rosewood?:rolleyes:

3. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

That would work about the same as turpentine. Smells similar.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Tea tree oil has some antiseptic properties but it is also somewhat toxic and side effects can include contact dermatitis especially when the oil has been oxidized. And there's the problem because as a vegetable oil it will oxidize.

The de facto standard really is plain old mineral oil. Unlike vegetable oils it's extremely stable and it's the principal ingredient in all the products sold for treating fingerboards (like Lemon Oil, Bore Oil, etc.) but you can buy a quart of it from a pharmacy or hardware store for a few dollars.

5. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Don't know about tee tree oil, but I recently used coconut oil on a rosewood fretboard and it messed it up. So I learned that you have to be careful with your oil choices...

6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Tea Tree oil is great for mosquito bites but I wouldn't use it on a rosewood fretboard.

7. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Ok thanks, I'll just stick with what has worked for me over the last 35 years....mineral oil

8. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

I don't know about fretboards but we use it at the Dojo to treat ringworm.

9. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Play after eating kfc.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Never never never put a vegetable oil on a fretboard. It'll rancidify, and in addition to smelling nasty and rotten, will provide a medium for bacteria to go after the wood.
    Mineral oil, and a very light coat at that, is best.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Any time my girlfriend hears the words "head lice" she breaks out that freaking tea tree oil.
    No way would I put that **** on my guitar.
    (those of you with teenage girls might want to put some on them for prom night)

12. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Lemon oil? I use it on rosewood ?

13. Mr. Lumbergh

No worries with lemon oil, it's mineral oil with smell-good additives. That's what I use as well.

14. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

So no one has tried tea tree oil on their rosewood fret board ( including myself ) but no one can come up with a real reason why not to use it ?

If this stuff is toxic them why do some women put it in their bathwater.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

You mean aside from it going going bad and promoting rot? Sounds like a real reason to me.

16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Tea Tree oil is antiseptic, antimicrobial and antifungal, meaning it kills stuff.
    It is toxic to animals if taken by mouth.

Being a plant product, it becomes rancid, or in chemical terms it oxidizes, which involves changes in the chemical compound.
    These changes increase some aspects of its toxicity, and decrease other aspects, as in it goes bad if not sealed in a container and not exposed to light.

It really is more of a medicine to be properly preserved and used for medical problems, not a lubricant or wood finish; despite the fact that it is called "oil".

18. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

If you are looking for a thick film finish that remains deeper and shinier than mineral oil, you can use tung oil or Tru oil.

However, you only want to apply one saturating coat, buff off the residual finish that does not soak in, and at most apply one more coat which needs to be buffed out with a dry, lint free cloth.

For a durable long lasting oil finish, the finish should really be in the wood, not sitting on top of it.

Save the tea tree oil for tooth aches!

19. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I have used bamboo oil, had a little extra from after oiling my cutting boards. Also mineral oil, and now use Stew-Mac fretboard oil. Mineral oil with some brown stain in it.

Bought a pint of it, and unless I lose it, it's a lifetime supply.

Thought about using some ebony stain to darken the rosewood, but its a bound fretboard with cream colored binding. They recommend taping off the binding, but I don't think that its worth it just to darken the rosewood cosmetically. I'd rather have a FB that looks like well oiled RW than a RW FB that has dark stained cream binding.

20. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Mineral oil /is/ known to cause dermatitis.

Oils for treating wood are formulated to soak into the fibres to stop the wood drying out and splitting.

Teak oil, which is not made from teak but formulated for teak and other oily woods such as ebony and rosewood, is the correct oil to use.

Tung oil is a non toxic formulation suitable for use on worktops in contact with food but it contains no driers so it takes ages to dry.

Most wood oils are linseed based.

What you call mineral oil left pond is liquid paraffin, it has been shown to cause dermatitis. It is not an oil but a wax and will block the pores in wood. What we call mineral oil right pond is what we put in the car engine, it also causes dermatitis. It is called mineral oil because it comes out of a hole in the ground.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.