1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never shopped there before but my wife set up a line of credit there a few months back so thought I should put it to use.
    Anyway I ordered some new headphones. Shortly afterward a got a voicemail from someone there telling me my package had shipped and asking me to call back to discuss what I’m into musically.
    What’s that about? Is that weird?

2. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

I think it is. Lol

Apparently people here love to be harrassed while they're at work.
    :D:D:D

Toadtele and beyer160 like this.
  3. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

It's normal for them. Some would see it as good customer service, but of course it gives them another chance to sell more stuff.

4. CDox

CDox Tele-Meister

My sales rep always calls when i place an order. I don't mind, i usually end up talking to him for quite a few minutes.

FenderGuy53, uriah1, Toadtele and 3 others like this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

They take customer service to a whole new level as far as the music retail business is concerned. Some people around here really get their undies in a wad over the follow up calls and such. But just tell them you don’t want them to call. They won’t. It’s that simple. Or just ignore the voicemail. They won’t pursue it. That’s what I do. If I feel like talking to my “sales engineer” then I do. If I don’t then I don’t.

It’s nice to have an internet shopping option where I deal with the same guy every time. He knows what I’m into, he’s knows what else I’ve bought from him, and he knows what I’m using it for. A couple times it’s helped him to steer me to a better product. Both times it was something less expensive than what I thought I wanted, but I trusted him and he was right.

6. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

That sounds typical. It is weird. They've gone over-board with the customer service but it beats the alternative.

Toadtele likes this.
  7. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

Likely, that person will be "your" salesperson while you shop there. They like their salespeople to develop an appearance (at the very least) of ongoing personal interaction. This won't be the last call you get, and if you submitted an email address, expect follow up emails along the lines of "is there anything you are in the market for".

If the sales guy knows what you've bought before and what you intend to do, they can help you find the best solution.

The internet seems to think this is creepy. It's kind of a meme now. I don't mind it, really. It has worked to my advantage. I am sure my guy knows I am going to ask him to beat the listed price.

I've literally searched through my emails to find one of these contacts from the past just to follow up on something I need. I've asked questions about PA system design and requested best price. Both types of inquiries have been well received and answered to my satisfaction and benefit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    FenderGuy53 and Toadtele like this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

They don’t stop calling, even after you tell them. At least in my case. Came very close to effing me a couple times on errrr...surreptitious purchases. They have good products, many of which you can’t get at mf, but I started using CME in those instances. Plus, CME actually sets up their guitars. Not a big believer in Sweetwater’s 64 point inspection or whatever.

Fretting out, kcarlos and Toadtele like this.
  9. Jakedog

It only seems out of the ordinary because customer service as a whole has pretty much disappeared from planet earth. So when we stumble onto a business that still takes it seriously, it can be a little shocking.

10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have dealt with them for quite some time, and honestly, rather like the treatment I have received. Its kind of nice to get "old fashioned personal treatment"
    You dont have to. You can "pass" Of course they want to determine what path is best to market to your needs and interests. IMO, thats good business. But if you dont want to be bothered, they also seem to respect the position of "I know where to find you if I need you"

My sales rep knows my interests, knows what I have and what I am looking at acquiring. We have chatted and he has sent me targeted notifications about things I might be interested in when they go on sale.
    And at the same time has been gracious when I say no.

There are far more annoying things in my world than a company that makes sure a transaction went well, I got what I needed, on time and as expected, and just checked in to see if I needed anything else.

I have chatted with my rep and discovered common outside interests, and never felt pressured at any time about any sale.

I have no complaints. The only thing I have found weird about it is wondering why other companies cant treat me like I matter as a customer.

Your experience may vary. :cool:

8barlouie, FenderGuy53 and Toadtele like this.
  11. Jakedog

They only have my cell number. I don’t even have a home phone. And my cell phone does not ring, it only vibrates. So I’m the only one who ever knows if it’s receiving a call or who it’s from. Can’t get outed by Sweetwater. I also almost never answer my phone. Rarely, if it’s somebody I really wanna talk to, I answer. If there’s no name on it or I don’t know the number I just ignore it. If it’s a legit call, whoever it is will leave a voicemail. If they don’t, it wasn’t important.

Getting rid of the home phone was the best thing we ever did. I positively detest the sound of a ringing phone. Used to work in retail. Can’t stand it.

I haven’t heard a phone ring my house, let alone during dinner or some other impractical time in more than ten years. It’s a beautiful thing.

12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It threw me off at first, but I quickly came to appreciate the level of service when I got a call the day after I had ordered a half-dozen picks, just to tell me that they expected a one-to-two day delay because the pick had gone out of their stock during the time it took me to place the order. No pressure to buy anything else, just a courtesy call. Super cool. I get occasional calls from my sales "engineer" when an amp I've shown interest in goes on sale, or a part I've purchased multiple times has a price change.

I always feel like I'm treated like a big spender when I deal with Sweetwater, even though I've only ever purchased cables, picks, and strings from them. I like my sales "engineer" enough that I have given his name and number to my friends when they look to make a purchase. I wish the same level of service was not the exception that it has become in this day and age.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A few days ago they sent out a broadcast e-mail asking customers to click through to their site and specify how they want to be contacted.

I called my Sweetwater sales guy this afternoon and ordered a Fender replacement neck. I prefer that he get the sale instead of my just ordering it online.

FenderGuy53 and gregulator450 like this.
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

They send candy ... so it's OK ...

15. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I told my Sales Engineer not to call me, and he doesn't. I usually place my orders on line, but if I want a better deal on a demo, for example, I call him and I have consistently gotten another 10% off the demo price. I like Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, American Musical and Reverb, and 90% of my musical equipment purchases are one of those four.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

My sales engineer called one day to tell me I won a guitar and amp. I don't mind answering his calls, now.

17. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Full disclosure, I’ve had three different dudes assigned to me in three years. Probably part of the reason for all the calls. I can see how a developed loyalty with one person could be cool. They’re a fine company.

FenderGuy53 and Jakedog like this.
  18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ask him over for dinner
    or golf.

19. Jakedog

Almost 100% of mine are through Sweetwater and AMS. I like the service from Sweetwater, and I like that I can get awesome payment plans at AMS without having to open an acct or special line of credit. They just use my bank card. Very convenient.

I’ll shop GC or MF if I have a gift card or it’s a really good deal on something I really need. But their service, the slow shipping, and the overall “Walmart” feel of the experience when I buy from them means I generally go with SW or AMS.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  20. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I usually get a phone call thanking me for my order and to try to find out more about me . They get polite one word answers to questions but nothing more.
    I don't have a problem with them

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.