Question about Squier Strat body size

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rob J, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if a Squier CV 50s Strat has a thinner body than a Fender Strat (like the standard Squiers do). I know that the regular Squiers are thinner because I tried to drop in a loaded pickguard from a Fender Strat into one and it wouldn't fit.

I have a CV 50s Tele and the body on it seems to be the same thickness as a MIM or MIA tele. (although I haven't actually measured it). It also easily accepted a MIM neck.

I'm thinking about finding a Squier CV50s Strat but would like to know if I would have the option of adding a loaded pickguard from a Fender to it. Are Fender necks compatible with Squier Strats? How upgradable are the CVs? Or do they even need any upgrades?

2. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Subscribing.

I do know that some models and country of manufacture are standard Fender thickness. (1.75") I have no idea how it breaks down.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I believe the Affinity line has thinner bodies and the others are normal spec ... I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am !!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Any of the Bullet, Affinity, and arrow-headstock Starcasters from Indonesia are thin to Fender's specs. That plant does a great manufacturing job but they make them too tight to Fender's desires.

China made Starcasters with the scroll headstock are full thickness. Some of the MIC Squiers are full thickness ("SE" serial numbered ones seem to be, per other forums).

Non-fender affiliated brands often have bodies and necks that are better clones of MIM/MIA than Squier.

A 5-way switch on a MIM/MIA loaded pickguard can fit in a skinny Squier body if you heat the solder tabs and bend then 'up' to get more clearance inside the cavity. Put down electrical tape to ensure no shorts to the switch too. Use shielded cable to the jack, that's about half the noise floor on a Strat.

reddy2300 likes this.
  5. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info, guys. I have since done a search for CV 50s Strat upgrades and mods (which I should have done in the first place) and it seems that the CVs accept some (maybe not all) Fender parts.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I was under the idea that Fender's were 2" and all Squier's and other Imports were 1.75".

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Unless you’re hardtailing, you’ll want to consider the same for your trem block (if indeed there ends up being a difference).

8. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

From another forum (in case anyone else is interested)

"I have three strats, a squier CV, a mim classic 60's and a japanese one. The bodies are all the same thickness but there is a difference in the contours between the MIM and the Squier/Japanese. The asian guitars have much deeper contours than the MIM. The MIM feels thicker as a result".

And also...

"Squiers have a thinner body than standard Fenders (MIA and MIM). The new CV series have the normal body width so you can drop in regular size blocks if you want".

So I take it that the standard Squire bodies are thinner (which I know that they are), but the CVs are not.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 50s CV anniversary gold strat and it was identical to a Fender, parts and body thickness etc.

Si G X likes this.
  10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

yeah Affinity and Bullets, I thought all the 'standard' and above models were basically fender spec these days. I seem to remember reading that Fender were deliberately moving this way to encourage people to buy fender parts to upgrade. It may be that older versions within the same range may be different too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.