Question about re-sawing w/o bandsaw...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Apr 29, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

You can cut it to fretboard width first, then up on edge and cut each one to maybe 3 fretboards of ~ 1/4" thick. (assuming it is 1" thick) You may have to cut part way then flip it over.
    What you need after that is to have them powersanded to appropriate thickness. You could run them through a planer, but high risk of chipping... especially rosewood.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Remember what I said about trying to get that extra one out of it :)…….Do the math.....The outside of the wood is rough and not flat.... Look for checks and defects. Is the board warped now? All these things have to be taken into consideration before you start

mjr428 likes this.
  3. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

It's not warped at the moment. I think I will take your advice and leave plenty of room to work with. I don't need a ton of fret boards as it is, so I'll take it easy. I think I can get up to 8 if I do it that way. Those will last me a couple years at least...

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I had a nice pau ferro board that I tried to get 3 out of resawing on my table saw. Luckily I got two and the "third" was an ugly wonky thing.

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@mjr428

I live a few miles away (waxa) and have a 14" bandsaw. However I picked up a nice piece of Maple at a reclaimed lumber place and tried to cut it in the manner you are discussing for some body faces. Either my blade was not sharp enough or my saw was off as I lost a blade and have yet to get my blade back on my saw and operating.
    My plan is to get out to the shop sometime this weekend and work on it as I need to shape a few bodies and I have put it off for too long. With the weather we are about to get I doubt I will be mowing the lawn for a week or so. If I get the saw up and running I will give you a shout.

mjr428 likes this.
  6. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

I use both . I Start it on the table saw then move to the band saw .
    And yes leave lots for warpage and other surprises

7. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Before my band saw days I used to resaw with my table saw with no problem. The statements of only getting 2 pieces is correct.

Use a sharp thin kirf blade. Don't try it with a small underpowered saw. Also without a decent fence. A riveting knife to keep it from pinching is very wise. Feather boards are also key. Putting spacer in the already cut edge is crucial if the 2nd pass will cut all the way thru. For 7" boards I used to cut half and half and finish the rest with a hand saw.

Eric

epizootics likes this.
  8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

This reminds me that I have a bit of Padauk to resaw into fretboards .

9. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i use a big giant heavy sled that i c-clamp my board to. them i push the sled while i use it for a shield just in case something comes loose and starts flying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epizootics likes this.
  10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I would buy a Shop Fox or see if you can find a local Woodcraft store they have awesome staff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.