Question about peeling finish

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by GGardner, Mar 22, 2019.

1. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Here's a photo of my Baby Taylor. The finish is separating/bubbling below the bridge and next to the neck. Has anyone ever seen this before? Weird, no? Any insights on what caused this and how to fix it would be appreciated. Thanks.

20190322_193020.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Have you sent this same question to the peeps at Taylor?

It is some sort of adhesion problem, but I will not venture a guess on the cause

Chunkocaster, RodeoTex and GGardner like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If Taylor has no answer for you .. I'd try getting 'Thin' CA adhesive (look at hobby lobby) to wick under the finish and tack it down.

GGardner likes this.
  4. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

looks like the finish cracks allowed the finish to separate from the body,.. I'm wondering if any repair attempt other than a top refin might look worse.

RodeoTex and GGardner like this.
  5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I have so little faith/expectation in any manufacturers--other than perhaps Apple and LL Bean--to stand behind their products that I didn't even consider contacting Taylor. But inspired by your post, I just sent the the photo to Taylor's support unit asking if they've ever seen this happening to any of their guitars and if they have any suggestions.

t-ray, Stubee and Buckocaster51 like this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Looks like a manufacturing issue... IMO Taylor should fix it or give you a new one ...

Chunkocaster and GGardner like this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s the right thing to do and I expect you’ll get a response from them. They are a good company.

I’ve owned dozens of acoustic guitars and played countless others and have never seen anything like that, even on very old & beat up ones. I d seen finish peel on some Fender electric guitars but not on a flattop. There were some Martin’s in the 90s (?) that started to peel a bit on the neck, especially in heavy play areas, but not like yours. Good luck.

GGardner likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I'm a long-standing cynic/pessimist (like my father and my father's father). But after reading your responses, I'm getting a little flicker of hope (which will undoubtedly be crushed like a 16 seed in the NCAA tournament).

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

About all you can do other than refin is (as said above) try to wick superglue
    under those spots that are lifting.

You may have to make some small cuts in the lifting area in order to make openings
    where the glue can run under.

10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

This is unreal. Following the advice above, I emailed the photo to Taylor. Almost immediately, I got an email from Jonathan O. in Taylor's Customer Service. He asks me for the serial number and the name of the shop where I bought it so he can see if it's under warranty.

I give him the serial number. I tell him that I don't remember where i bought it and, anyway, it was a lifetime ago. I give him an estimated time period (90s) and my foggy recollection (maybe some store in Delaware where I walked in and bought it on whim). He researched it and said it was never registered by me or the store. So get this, he registers it for me and tells me to take it in to a local certified service center where they will fix it under warranty.

I found that to be remarkable. Please, everyone go buy a Taylor. They should be rewarded for that kind of customer service and willingness to stand by their product.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Well that is cool Mr. Gardner.
    So glad to hear about this level of service.

lasrup likes this.
  12. Stubee

They’ve always been a good company. Glad that turned out OK.

13. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've always heard they were a great company; nice to see it confirmed. Congrats.

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Things went awry. I'm told that I have to ship the guitar out to Taylor myself (or reimburse the local authorized tech at GC for shipping) which--having just returned from the local UPS store--looks to be about $110 in each direction.

After viewing the photos, Taylor initially said that they would repair the finish or give me a new body. But now they're saying that in addition to reimbursing GC for shipping costs, I would have to reimburse GC for repair costs if Taylor ultimately determines that the warranty doesn't apply. Call me a cynic but I'm fairly certain what that determination would be. I would end up paying shipping and repair costs of $400+ to fix a guitar that sells for $340 when brand new.

So I'm at Plan B. Someone suggested sanding it down and rubbing on a sealing finish. Does anyone have any suggestions how to do that? Do I use a sheet of 220 sandpaper? Do I just sand down the affected areas, or the entire front, or front back and sides?

And what type of rubbing oil to finish?

And any pot holes to watch out for?

Thanks/sorry.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I would suggest proceeding very carefully. The loose finish should come right off. You could try a scraper (or a single edged razor with the pointy ends rounded off a bit to prevent gouging) to remove the rest. If you sand, use a block so you don't sand divots in the top. Use the finest sandpaper that will do the job. Tape everything you don't want to refinish. Use shellac as a base coat/primer. Most guitar finishes will adhere very well to shellac. If everything is sufficiently protected by tape, you could use rattle can lacquer. It's more durable than the shellac.

Good luck. Take your time, you'll do fine.

Edit: Just a thought - post pictures & ask how to proceed in the "Finely Finished" forum here on TDPRI. There are some fantastic finishers there that would be glad to help.

16. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Have you tried finding another authorized repair location that's not the equivalent of a big-box store? Taylor also uses local luthiers who have their specialized jigs and tools (for instance, routing jigs for upgrading the jack/battery box or converting the bridge to hold the new beside-the-saddle transducers).

Consider, though, that Taylor uses a special finish that's sprayed on with a static charge and then UV cured (a process that's ridiculously close to powder-coated auto parts), so a refin' might really be something that they only do at the factory.

17. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

Good advice from nosmo!

18. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Just wanted to let you know this ended. Taylor sent me a brand new one! A wonderful experience. I'll defnitely buy another Taylor--I already have a 410 Koa that sounds great. And the folks at GC (Springfield NJ) handled the shipping and didn't charge me for it. I need to buy something from them too. While I was there, I saw this gorgeous used SG Standard, which has always been on my list. But it's neck was too thick for me. But I'll find a way to repay both.

In the meantime, I have a brand new Baby Taylor that I'll probably never play. I bought it on a whim a lifetime ago, and except for the advice above, would have probably have let it sit unplayed in my basement for the next 20 years.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/SG-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-115466951.gc

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    warrent likes this.
  19. Stubee

Glad to hear they still stand behind their products.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

If you bought it new and have your receipt, it should be under warranty and you shouldn't have any problem getting it fixed or replaced.

It's NOT a matter of finding out whether they've ever seen it or getting suggestions! It's a matter of them fixing the problem. They should, and I'm sure they will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.