1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about Otis Redding

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by krapyajleinad, May 30, 2012.

1. krapyajleinad

krapyajleinad Former Member

I'm just getting into Otis Redding and soul and R&B and more into Steve Cropper's stuff (I have his With a Little Help From My Friends album but to ME it is a little meh), namely his work with the Booker T and the Mg's and I'm wondering, are there any specific albums that Otis put out with just Steve Cropper on guitar or is it all mixed and matched?

Do you guys know the other guitarist(s) that played with him and the albums that they possibly only played on?

Oh and do you guys have any other recommendations for this kind genre (I'm already sort of familiar with Redding, Booker T and the MG's, the Royale 5's, Cornell Dupree, John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Ray Charles)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Johnny Jenkins played guitar on several of his early albums (cropper is also them). The live lps had other bands besides BT and MGs + horns. Check out Otis discography on wikipedia they define alot of the musicians on the different LPs (mostly BT and MGs + horns). Johnny Jenkins made atleast 4 albums which I like all of them. His first one (on Capricorn records) had Duane Allman and others from the ABB. Second had Jack Pearson on it.

3. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

see if you can locate a copy of the entire Montery Pop set...it is AWESOME! If the band is cookin' it's the MG's with Duck and Steve Cropper. As far as I know Steve and Booker were the house band and pretty much played all of Otis's songs..Steve wrote Sitting on the Dock, Otis's last song before the plane crash. Another tragedy losing Otis for sure...

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is what you want!

[​IMG]

Here's a clip from the show:

5. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I'd say there's a very good chance you'd like anything on Daptone Records, especially Sharon Jones. I only say that because when I thought I had heard all the Stax artists I was looking for something new and Daptone fit the bill... the artists there aren't always in the same league as Stax but they are awesome in their own different way.

And if it's funk you are looking for I could make a huge list starting with The Meters and going into groups influenced by The Meters...

6. mal paso

mal paso Banned

7. Telemarkman

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

This one rivals Otis, in my opinion. Per Stax norm, Booker T and the guys are the band, as well. A must-have:

[​IMG]

9. krapyajleinad

Thanks guys will check out your recommendations. So I guess all Otis Redding records are good regardless of the Steve Cropper's involvement and that I should just buy them all! :D

Keep the suggestions and info coming!

10. mal paso

mal paso Banned

Dictionary of Soul, Blue, and Dock of the Bay are indispensable albums

11. 1986

1986 TDPRI Member

Southern soul was more of a song-driven rather than album-driven genre, so nice compilations are a good place to start!

This album has all the essential Redding-tracks, and Cropper plays on most of them as far as I know.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Soul-Otis-Redding/dp/tracks/B000FO0AOC/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_2

You should get a general Stax-collection as well, the one that "mal paso" recommended is REALLY good!

But don't forget that Southern soul is not all about Stax! Check out music recorded at the rival American Studios in Memphis, and The Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals as well! Reggie Young and Bobby Womack are two great session guitar players from this era, check out their playing on this classic: (Recorded at American Studios, I think)

I can really recommend the compilations from the British reissue-label KENT. They came out with a fantastic box a few years back called "Take Me To The River: A Southern Soul Story 1961-1977", where they try to sum up the whole genre. The music on that record is fantastic, even though they maybe focused a little bit too much on the ballads. The record comes with a nice booklet with info about the artists and the records.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Take-Me-The-River-1961-1977/dp/B001E7ONZQ/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

They have recently come out with a sequel that just focus on music from The Fame Studio. I have not heard it yet, but the track selections looks great. A lot of classics.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Fame-Studios-Story-1961-73/dp/B005LOIEM6/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

They have also put out a one-CD compilation with soul from American Studios:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Boys-Story-American-Studios/dp/B006WAF3ZO/ref=pd_sim_m_7

Most of this music where originally put out out by Atlantic Records, so a nice Atlantic-compilation is a must! Maybe this one?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Only-In-America-Atlantic-Classics/dp/B00260PHVO/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1338456506&sr=1-3

To finish of this post, I must push for my favourite Southern soul-artist: Artetha Franklin. Everything that she recorded for Atlantic Records in the late 60's and early 70's is amazing; the songs, the arrangements, the musicians and the performances. I especially love her records "I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You", "Lady Soul", "Aretha Now" and "Spirit in the Dark". Great guitar playing on all of them! Listen to the fluid soul guitar on this one. Don't know who's playing. Is it Womack on this one as well?

12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

13. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

ya it's hard to say, considering 8 different guitar players are credited on album...
    buzz feiten, cornell dupree were my first 2 guess...

love these old sessions with so many great players. I have always wanted to know what songs womack played on as well, especially with sam cooke.

14. Telemarkman

I'm sure Tjarko (olewichita) would know, but he's taking a break right now (I believe). But I don't think he'd mind if you emailed him though. Nicest guy you could think of!

15. elihu

It's that funky-clean thing Cornell did so well. And yeah, tj's all over this. But i think he's busy playing-and that's a good thing.

16. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2011/08/25/cliftons-corner-volume-two-new-funk-soul-favorites/

Aquarium Drunkard is a great site. Lots of great soul/blues/funk/rock mp3's there. Old stuff, new stuff. All free. Can't go wrong there.

Also give Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears a listen.

17. krapyajleinad

Yes THANK YOU!

I have become familiar with Bobby Womack, Pop Staples, and Curtis Mayfield recently.

While I was diving deeper into this genre I was getting pretty frustrated on the fact that the session guitarists used were inconsistent and that some of the singles that an artist did, didn't feature a guitarist at all!

But you cleared it up for me when you mentioned that soul was song driven and the compilations you've listed are exactly what I'm looking for in soul music.

I will definitely check out Artetha Franklin cause her work seems to be a honey hole!

Oh and I'm starting realize that some of Bobby Womack's work doesn't feature him on guitar. Can you guys lead me to some of the albums he did that feature his (and Reggie's) playing mostly?

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

19. elihu

I like The Womack Live (thanks tj!) Released in 1970 (recorded in 1967?) it shows Bobby in fine form in a small venue. I remember he plays some good guitar-even has a little duel with his guitar player that night. And Percy Mayfield sings on one cut.

Marrying Sam Cooke's widow three months after Sam's death really hurt Bobby's career. But he survived by writing great songs for other people such as It's All Over Now for the Stones, Lookin' For A Love recorded by the J. Giles Band, I'm In Love-Wilson Pickett and Breezin', first recorded by Bobby and Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo before being cut by George Benson. Szabo's album High Contrast is all instrumental with him and Bobby trading licks so that one deserves consideration.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  20. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

The first time I heard "Oh No Not My Baby" was by Rod Stewart probably shortly after he went solo but I'm not sure. We're talkin' '75-'76. I like Aretha's version more but RS could pick a good song to cover.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.