1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about nut spacing

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by sleazy pot pie, Mar 1, 2021.

1. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I am putting together a telebird. I bought a precut nut, but I am wondering if maybe I need one with a little wider spacing .

The strings seem to be a little far from the edges and it’s not quite a straight line over the nut to the tuners.
    F01B7D2E-ACCF-430C-BFB3-B262BBED2374.jpeg

This will be the first time I have done any nut work. I bought a set of nut files, and have read a ton, but have no hands on experience.
    Am I looking at this right?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is a low resolution image, so kinda hard to tell fore sure, but it looks OK to me. I don't like my strings much closer to the edge. I wouldn't worry about the straight line to the tuners. That is more a function of tuner spacing and not the nut.

I try to make the gap from the edge of the fingerboard to the string roughly equal up the neck. So the saddle placement also plays a role in string spacing at the nut, at least for me. There are many different preferences out there.

On a fingerboard that has quite rolled edges, one typically wants the strings a little more inboard. I roll many of my fingerboards.

Is your pre-cut nut for a lefty or righty? Was it cut for a flipped Firebird, or a Fender? Was it pre-slotted, or just marked and you cut the slots? Spacing is usually different on a RH nut than a LH nut, depending on your string layout.

This is a factory nut from a MIM Thinline Reissue neck:

20200829_191629.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    sleazy pot pie likes this.
  3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for the insight.
    It is a right handed nut/reverse headstock.
    It is a pre slotted bone nut from eBay somewhere.
    I will try to get a better shot tonight.
    I just took a quick snapshot on my way out the door this am to look at it while on break at work.
    I have a couple more of these nuts, some 42 some 43 and some 44
    Not sure which this one is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.