Question about my deck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I built a new redwood deck three years ago. The redwood was professionally finished before installation.There is a portion of it that is uncovered.
    I am running out of weather to get it refinished this year. The uncovered portion is aging very quickly. I intend to sand all of it and refinish it in the spring. My question is would it be a good idea to put Thompson’s water seal on the exposed portion of the deck to limit the damage this winter will do. My thought is that since I am going to be re-sanding the entire thing it won’t be an issue. But I don’t want to put anything on there that will make it more difficult to refinish in the spring.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It might help a bit but my impression of Thompson's is it will last about one rainstorm.......
    Olympic 2 year oil based clear lasts far better, but is a bit oily.

Toadtele likes this.
  3. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

I have a lot of opinions here. I’m a gc and have built many redwood decks.

First off, what was the deck finished with when built?

Second, I personally do not believe that stains and finishes do much if anything to preserve or protect decks and railings. It’s purely an aesthetic benefit.

Third, please never use a hard finish - like polyurethane - on any outdoor wood not protected from above. When it fails (usually very quickly), you have no choice but to strip or sand the whole thing, and start over. It’s a huge pain and expense.

Which brings me to four: my stain/sealer/finish of choice is oil. I like penofin, but there are many other similar products on the market. It’s easy to apply, beautiful looking, comes in many shades, and is comparable in price to other options. Best of all, it’s a breeze to reapply. You can probably do it in an afternoon.

Finally, I used to be a deck sanding advocate, but no longer am. Unless you absolutely have to (ie removing an existing finish completely), in my experience, sanding a deck just gums up the pores in the wood with dust, which impedes penetration of whatever you put on after. I prefer either a high pressure nozzle on a regular hose, or a pressure washer. I clean the deck, let it dry thoroughly, and then go straight to oil. You’ll need to reapply every year or so, but it’s easy to do, and looks great.

PS - you can always just let the deck go gray - that’s the look some people prefer, and it won’t shorten the life of the deck any.

Toadtele, P Thought and MarkieMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.