Question about MIM strat paint/finish...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by timchooo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. timchooo

timchooo TDPRI Member

Hello everyone, I have a brand new '16 Standard MIM Strat and I spotted some sort of "bubbling" of the finish where the neck meets the body (on the side of neck heel?), it's slightly raised (it's kind of hard to see on the photo).

So... is there any reason to be concerned about this? Can this get worse over time, like can the bubbles crack and ruin the finish or something? Is it possible to repair without refinishing the whole body? The guitar itself plays like a dream and stays in tune, so I don't want to replace/return it...

img1.jpg

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Is there just one or a bunch of them?

If it's not just a single blemish I'd send photos to Fender and ask them about it. If you bought it new you may be due some kind of compensation. Single blemish I'd just leave it be; if it pops open keep it from spreading with Crazy Glue.

Edit: I thought it was a spot. It's pretty big isn't it? Send photo to Fender. That's not acceptable.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the fix is they want you to return it and send you a new one or replace the body, just keep what you got. From the way you described it, you have a keeper there and even CS can be hit and miss.

4. timchooo

timchooo TDPRI Member

There's 4 different separated bubbles (2 are sort of longer streched oval shapes, and theres 2 smaller dot type bubbles), besides from this "issue" everything else on the guitar is fine.

5. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

If you absolutely want your guitar to remain unblemished, and you are the original purchaser, you should make Fender aware ASAP. Once it breaks loose, which it will, it will be harder to come to a mutually agreeable resolution. Repair can be done without stripping the entire body, although the convex/concave curves would make it tricky to blend. But white does hide blemishes the best, and it beats having a huge chip out of the paint!

6. timchooo

timchooo TDPRI Member

It doesn't bug me that much, I'm just wondering whether this kind of issue is common, judging by the price range it must be I guess.. As long as the guitar plays, stays in tune and sounds great I don't have a problem with it :)

Edit: If they couldn't make the section of paint match the rest of the body, guess I could just have the whole body stripped and finished in just natural down the road anyways, if it bugged me that much... or I could just leave it with a battle wound, every guitar gets 'em at some point :)

7. Dismalhead

I've got two MIMs, a Strat and a Tele, and I've played a lot more. That is not common. Send them an email and photos and let them know what's up.

8. timchooo

timchooo TDPRI Member

So if I do that, would I have to send the body or even the whole guitar back, or would they maybe offer to send me a replacement body without charging me or something? Asking just in case if you'd know maybe...

9. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

If it's actual bubble (air gap under paint) it will eventually break and look pretty ugly. If it's paint on a blob of sealer or something it will probably last forever.

10. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

I'm all for guitars that earn their scars. I've been building guitars for about 7 years, and while I refuse to "relic" a guitar, I make them so that they can age on their own nicely. tapatalk_jpeg_1485895102778.jpg

11. Dismalhead

Gotta see how they respond.

If they end up giving you the option to swap the guitar, don't worry. You may be attached to it, but any guitar made of good components will feel great with a good setup.

12. timchooo

timchooo TDPRI Member

I probably wouldn't swap the guitar because I wouldn't be able test out the new one they would send me, like if the paint is any better than my current one, if it plays alright, if the frets are level etc... If they offered me a free body without me sending the old one back, I'd do it in a heartbeat tho.. I'm gonna shoot them an e-mail tho to see what can be done.

But for all its worth, in the end I'm just probably being really nit-picky :D

13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Over 50% of the guitars I've owned (particularly Fender/Gibson/Epiphone) have had finish flaws from specks in the finish to pooling on the headstock to bad masking. They way I judge it is if it's a player and they wouldn't affect resale value, I don't worry too much. However...

Hard to tell what it is from the photo. If it's actually a run in the paint, I would stick with it on a MiM standard. The finish looks too thick on the outside of the heel, as well. If it's actually a bubble, it means something in the finishing process wasn't cleaned off properly and the paint hasn't adhered, so it's liable to crack and peel off. It's normal to get cracks in that area from the neck stresses anyway, so that could help it along.

Contact Fender, tell them you're displeased. See what they say! :)

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Kind of hard to tell, but it looks more like a run than a bubble to me.

- D

Matthias likes this.
  15. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I have no idea about the bubbles, but finding finish cracks where you circled is pretty common on older guitars.

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Blisters like that can often crack and chip if they are bumped - sometimes if just enough pressure if put on them. If is not normal and the finish is defective. I suggest you return it - there's just not a significant difference between MIM guitars.

Another thought - every one I've seen needed a setup. They are not set up for optimum playing or tone out of the box. Normally the frets need at least light dressing, they need slight truss rod adjustments, the action usually needs to be changed to suit the owner and pickup height adjusted. Techs do this day in and day out on new guitars and it makes a big difference.

awasson likes this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Strictly my own opinion here ....

I couldn't care less about stuff like this on a guitar. If it played great and sounded good... that's all that matters. BUT - if new, I would still let Fender know and weigh the options that are presented.

If cosmetics are important to you (as they are for many people, I have no problem with that) then yes, you should return it.

Frontman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.