1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about Macbook & MS Word

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GGardner, Jan 25, 2021.

1. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Sorry if this is a stupid question--but I'm 95% helpless when it comes to computer tech stuff.

I need to get a new Macbook Air and have Microsoft Word loaded onto it. Do I have to buy yet another copy of Microsoft Office Home & Student? Or can I move MS Word onto my Google Drive and then move it back to my new Macbook Air?

I don't want to do anything shady. I just hope to save some money for once.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Greggorios likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

An Office 365 account will activate the apps on either macs or PCs and iPads, phones. How did you buy it?

You will need an installer/activation code. it won’t copy by Google Drive

GGardner, MrGibbly and BuckNekkid like this.
  3. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

What GuitarTecah said. You should have a license for Word, and these days it's linked to your Microsoft account. Log into microsoft.com, enter your account info and follow instructions to install it on your new Mac.

Any reason it HAS to be Word? Pages for the Mac is free from Apple, and it can read and write Word files.

Greggorios, mrfitz98 and GGardner like this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I bought my last MS Office Home & Student many years ago. It came with a limited amount of installations, which I quickly used up. It looks like Office 365 Family is $100/year. I was hoping to get away from another one-time purchase. But even that would beat a yearly subscription just so I can download MS Word to few machines. But is the only realistic choice between Office 365 Personal and Office 365 Family?

5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I need MS Word for work. I don't recall ever having a Microsoft account. Would I need to find the packaging from the old Home & Office and look around for a serial number of some sort?

EDIT: I just opened up MS Word and it lists the version, product ID, and device ID, but for license, it just says, "Volume License." Do I use the device ID?

6. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

You can buy Word without having to buy office. Download it from MacUpdate, and install it locally.

Harry Styron and GGardner like this.
  7. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Incidentally, my employer is a Microsoft shop for employees. I use my own Mac and never have an issue with file conversions.

GGardner likes this.
  8. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I finally broke down and switched to Apple’s own app Pages, which is free on the newer versions of the OS. Not as nice as Word, but better than yet another subscription fee. It can open Word docs.

koen and GGardner like this.
  9. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Can you be specific about what exactly you need to do with it?

Because, there are many alternatives which are compatible with MS Word to various extents. Some of the better ones are even free.

LibreOffice or OpenOffice can both open and save Word files, are highly feature-complete, and don't cost anything.

GGardner likes this.
  10. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Yeah, but there's still an usurious annual subscription.

GGardner likes this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Here's something odd. I just visited Microsoft.com (following BuckNekked's advice) and typed in my email. To my surprise, it said that I already have an account. I had to get a new password to log on. But once on, I couldn't find any account information (like when my account was established). It occurs to me that when the pandemic first hit, I opened a Skype account for a one-and-only Skype meeting (the rest have been thru Teams or Zoom). Is that Skype account my MS account too?

12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Maybe. Microsoft owns Skype.

GGardner likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

If you need it for work I'll guess your job might have a current license where your work. Can you log in to www.office.com with your work email address and password? If yes you will see any downloads you're entitled to there.

If you employer is up to date and you have a web only "essentials" license you can still work online.

I advise not downloading from any source but Microsoft.

There are personal and enterprise Microsoft accounts. The office.com site will authenticate an enterprise user. The www.office365.com site a personal or non-enterprise tier license.

GGardner likes this.
  14. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

If you’re going to get a new M1 based Macbook Air, your old Microsoft version will not run on it natively. To date, MS has not released ARM compatible Mac versions of their Office products. It probably will run under Rosetta 2 which is included with the Macbook Air, but I’ve no experience with that emulator. Performance may be adequate ? or laggy. I would de-install Word from one device and install it under Rosetta 2 and see. I’ve found MS very helpful with giving a new license code if you call and tell them it’s a new computer.

Pages works OK but chokes on some formatting. Google Docs is free and can read and write .doc and .docx files; LibreOffice (which I use) is free but the ARMish version for the new Macs is not available yet except on the developer channel. Again there are occasional glitches with formatting. Office 365 will work in an browser but responsiveness depends on your internet speed.

If this is for work, you might be able to use MS RDP to log into your company’s server and run Word remotely, again depending on your internet service.

GGardner likes this.
  15. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Except Pages is just annoying with its hidden functionality (meaning there may be a way to do something, but I sure can't find it...)

Harry Styron and GGardner like this.
  16. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Thanks, all. I just got a reprieve. This Macbook is from 2014 and often tells me that I can't do what I want because I don't have enough storage.

To make room, I tried to transfer stuff onto Google Photos and Google Drive. But when I went back and deleted the items from my laptop, they were deleting from my Google Drive too. So what's the point?

But tonight I read on-line that I could simply move my iMovie Library onto an external hard drive and delete the original. I did so with some trepidation. I have a ton of iMovie events (all of me teaching myself how to play something because my memory is shot).

Removing the iMovie file, a large app called, "Install macOS Mohave," and a bunch of PDFs and iTunes, bought me some breathing room. I'm still going to get a new MacBook Air. But it won't be this week.:)

P.S. I have a brand new Dell laptop from work with Word, but it's really uncomfortable. I feel like I'm playing a guitar with a extra heavy strings and ridiculously high action.

17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you initiate the new MacBook with the backup of your old Mac, it should install your owned Word program on the new Mac. I have done this several times with Office 2011. But I just bought a 2019 MacBook Pro, as the old one needed to be replaced, and it will not run the old Office. Had to buy a new version. But I BOUGHT it. I will not subscribe to paying Microsoft a periodic fee. The price to buy was not awful.

GGardner likes this.
  18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

No one (at least me) became a Word "expert" from the start. Constant use of it and finding the way things are done is the key. Heck, I have to use PowerPoint for work (Keynote isn't quite as compatible, I've found) and I'm still having to find how to do some things. When you have a product that attempts to be all things to all people...

GGardner likes this.
  19. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

And half of the strings are on the backside.

GGardner likes this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You don't ever buy anything but a license to use the software. There's a recent option to buy an Office 2019 1 time license and it offers less than the 365 branded subscriptions. All are in essence periodic fees because each version gets end of life.

The best way to consider this is look at the comparisons Microsoft has for buyers. Do that understanding a few things. 1) What each component offers. 2) The cloud aspects beyond perpetual upgrades such as storage, use across devices, and the sync with desktop and mobile. 3) Your own data protection and backup methods.

FYI. We give a lot of support to our nearly 1000 employees' personal and home use so this topic comes up beyond the licensing at work. Office 365 is 10 years old now. That's old enough for a few rounds of people who refused the change to be angry about their having to buy the stand alone version more than once and get less features from that. The M1 Macs have this showing up more. People also get messes when they have a work business or enterprise tier license and their own stand alone. If you have a personal 365 license and enterprise the account switching is rock solid.

GGardner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.