Question about hairline cracks in neck pocket.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

I'm constantly reading debates about hairline cracks in the neck pocket area of guitars.

Debates such as they are only cosmetic, they are to be expected, they give a guitar mojo, they will have an adverse effect on the guitar, etc.

I looked at my Deluxe Nashville Tele, and there is room on both sides of the neck to put a piece of paper through all the way to the bottom where the neck rests against the top of the guitar body.

So if the body of the guitar has that amount of space between it and the neck, what difference does a crack in the finish, heck, even a spilt all the way through the wood, have to do with the stability of the neck?

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't. Every Fender I have bought (painted) has developed a crack. Does make you mad when you buy new, but I get over it quick and I don't buy new Fenders anymore.

3. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Every Fender I've had pre-owned has had these with no ill effects whatever. I don't think it's a wood crack just an area of strain that the paint can't handle. I'll bet my new ones will have then soon. Don't worry.

4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

So why all the concern (I assume from Buyers who purchased used guitars, and are upset any hairline cracks in the finish weren't disclosed), when it has no effect on the guitar, and will eventually happen anyway?

howardlo likes this.
  5. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

The (bolted neck) Tokais I've had did not have these cracks, and all had tight neck pockets, very tight to 'Fender norms'.

6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

So a hairline crack is of more concern to guitars that have tight neck pockets (and I'm assuming my guitar doesn't)?

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

They're nothing to be concerned about. A finish beginning to shrink or the neck moving from side to side during normal use is what causes them. Regardless, those cracks you see at the neck pocket will almost 100% of the time be only finish deep. A guitar has to be subject to some pretty serious abuse before the wood will start cracking there...and by then it'll have much more serious issues.

Some folks just like their guitars to look like flawless case queens...or they're using it as a bargaining chip when purchasing used.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I assume you mean space not a crack in the wood? Not a problem at all. The sound /vibrations transfer through an intimate tight joint, not an almost tight joint like wood resting against wood..
    " what difference does a crack in the finish...." Two different things, cracks in the finish are cosmetic flaws.

9. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi schmee!

The space I refer to is the amount of space between the outside of the neck and the inside of the neck pocket.

And yes, I was referring to a crack in the Poly finish.

But since you brought it up :)

What IF the crack in the Poly finish went a little deeper into the wood?

Since the body of the guitar is not touching the neck (if it has that space I refer to), what difference does a small, minute split in the wood have to do with anything?

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Pfft, all part of fender ownership. I either have finish cracks on the poly guitars with a tight neck pocket. (Usually MIMs)
    Or The 80s Sloppy (MIJ) neck pockets that you can jam picks in. My only tight fitting crackless guitars are my laquer MIA's and partscasters.
    Affects nothing.

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Sounds like Poly is not very flexible/forgiving :)

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just aesthetics ... This one has a pretty big opening!
    [​IMG]

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.