Question About Glendale Bridge-plates

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by stephwills, May 15, 2008.

1. stephwills

stephwills Tele-Meister

I recently purchased a new Highway One Tele and am considering getting one of the Glendale bridge-plates. I'm still green around gills concerning a lot of this stuff, so I'm easily confused.

On Glendale's website, they list the following for the stainless steel bridge-plates:

• "original no-cut"
    • "double-cut"
    • "single-cut"
    I have no idea what these mean. If anyone can educate me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Scott McCray

Scott McCray Tele-Meister

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Glendale product is a fine one, no doubt, and it'll be twangier than that strong, well made plate you have on your H1.

But, as a warning; you have a wee bit of "butt crack" on your highway one, where the bridge pickup rout shows by the side of the bridge plate. Once you put the Glendale on there, you'll have even more butt crack.

Dale's not running any specials right now on combined plate and saddles buys as compared to buying separately. Give a thought to buying just the saddles. I've got a sunburst early Highway One with the stock plate and the Glendale brass saddles, sounds great.

4. stephwills

stephwills Tele-Meister

Scott, thanks for digging up those pictures. Those help immensely.

Boris, thanks for the info. I think I'll take your advice for now and just do the saddles.

Thanks again, guys! You rock.

5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Tele-Meister

I'll echo what Boris says. I'm using the Glendale saddles with a stock plate right now, and I am very happy with that set up. The Glendale saddles are great!

6. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Would the same advice apply to a MIM '60s Classic (i.e., try the brass saddles with the stock bridge plate)? Thanks.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

It might depend on what year the guitar is. I have a 1999 '69 Thinline and that plate is pretty badly made.
    The plate and threaded saddles on my 60's are still stock ( I made a wager with myself) and I find it is thinner and therefore twangier than the Highway One plate.

I think if you take the plate off and we take the advice of Mark Davis and resurface (sandpaper on a known flat surface) the underside of the 60's MIM plate before reinstalling it with Glendale saddles (or Callahams) the result will be very good indeed.

I think the single most crucial aspect of the Glendale and Callaham plates is they are precision made and are dead flat and remain that way when firmly attached to the Tele body. Most MIM plates can be massaged to get pirty close.

The amount of butt crack with the 60's plate versus the Glendale is pretty close; the Glendale double cut really is the " G string " of vintage bridge plates with no sides on there.

These details can be so quibbly, if you think about it. Meanwhile, the GE Smith has no coverage whatsoever and that's not stopping folks from replicating that look, right?

8. sirloin

sirloin TDPRI Member

Thanks Boris, great info!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.