Question about Firebird pickups

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
As I understand it, the original Firebird pickups used two (2) sheet steel plates - one large one below the coils and magnets, and one small steel strip above the coils and magnets that is centered up under the "B" string location.

Do you "modern winders" use both plates on your modern reproduction Firebird pickups?

I'm really curious, in particular about the small strip that goes on top under the B string - could someone explain its function and how it works?

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The "reflector plates", full bottom and partial top, increases the bar magnet Gauss rate and thus increases inductance.

Screenshot from 2015-12-11 18_15_57.png

Last edited:

jwp333

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The "reflector plates", full bottom and partial top, increases the bar magnet Gauss rate and thus increases inductance.

View attachment 940022
So from that drawing, I might have made a mistake in the placement of my Cavalier Firebirds that came in a guitar I bought from Rob. I found that the small holes on my baseplates were facing the bridge side. From the drawing, to get the b string reflector under the b string rather than the A string, the small holes on the baseplate should be facing the neck side (and the output lead should be coming out the side closest to the controls)? My mistake in moving things around. It sounded fine after the change, hoping Rob can confirm.

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
As with some of the actual Gibson Firebirds, Phoenix Firebirds have no need for a partial top reflector plate and there is no orientation as to how a Phoenix can be located. Yer good to go.

jwp333

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
đź‘Ť

Off topic Rob, I don't play that Ibanez hollowbody guitar much, but I had it out yesterday just to check the pickup orientation. I started playing it unplugged while watching TV last night and next thing I knew an hour had passed quickly. It's not meant for acoustic performance, but it's got a nice sound for couch noodling. And a distinctive sound plugged in. Made me give up the idea of buying a Epiphone Firebird and moving the Phoenix birds into it. I'm going to keep it in the rotation for a while.

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Couch noodlers are important and fun, for sure.

If the Epi Bird is stock, it'll have mini's and those Phoenix birds will wake it up quite proper. Do a before and after listen!