Question About C Neck Profiles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unixfish, May 28, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I see the "Modern C" on a lot of guitars. I've played them, and they are OK.

I like the "Deep C" on the American Professionals.

I have also seen the "60s C" on the AO 60s and Vintera 60s. I have not played one of those.

How does that 60s C compare with the other two? I googled it and did not find an answer; the other two are easy to compare, but the 60s C is not. No, I did not do an exhaustive search, but after 10 minutes I did not find anything. I was looking for something that would show the cutaway profiles and did not see anything.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender puts the "factory spec" neck depth/profile on the Service Manuals for the various guitars; the Service Manuals are found on the product page on the "Support" tab. Per the Service Manuals:

• Modern C is .820" at the first, .870" at the 12th
    • Deep C is .820" at the first, .920" at the 12th, and fuller shoulders than the Modern C
    • American Original 60s is .825" at the first, .975" at the 12th; it's fuller than the Modern C at the shoulder but not as full as the Deep C
    • They don't have the Service Manuals for either Vintera 60s Tele on their website
    I've only briefly played a Vintera 60s Bigsby; it seems like the neck was pretty similar to the last American Original (or more properly the old American Vintage 64 Tele). I've not played a Vintera 60s Modified Tele; some reviews say it's a Modern C (the Vintera 60s Modified Strat is definitely a Modern C - I had one in for a couple of weeks but ultimately returned it) while other reviews say it's the same feel as the modern C but slightly thicker.

Sorry, thats about all the help I can give.

3. unixfish

So 60s C is a bit thicker at the base, but is right between the other two in terms of shoulder.

Thanks - that is what I was looking for.

4. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. unixfish

That is good to know - I Emailed my home account so I can save that little trick.

horax likes this.
  6. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Modern-C with a 9.25 radius is what I prefer. I haf a Tele with a 12 in. radius .... it drove me nuts. Just me I guess:D

7. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

I’ve got the modern C with the 10”-14” radius and I love it. Never liked a 7.25”.

8. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Google "NECK PROFILES". Easy peasy.

9. Jackobeam

Jackobeam TDPRI Member

I’ve played the American pro neck and I have an AO early 60s neck and the 60s neck is chunkier. Thicker shoulders. I like it but the pro neck is def slimmer.

10. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

C
    Modern C
    63’ C
    Deep sea
    Vintage C

I think the C stands for creative because it’s an absolute lottery in terms of what the actual neck profile is. Suppose it’s the Nature of the beast.

Try before you buy to avoid disappointment.

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

I have been really curious about this since I've been looking at AO60's Teles online lately. I went to a local store the other day and found an AO60s Strat. The neck size was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting something like the Baja 60's which is also described as "60's C". It was not. The AO60's C is quite a bit chunkier. Almost on the level of the 50's U neck except more rounded out. Definitely larger than the modern C.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.