Question About Bridge Preference

Little_Wang

TDPRI Member
I'm in the process of building a partscaster Tele and I'm curious about people's bridge preferences. I, personally dig the vintage-style three saddle bridges but I'm a little nervous about intonation on a guitar built by and idiot (me). Would I be better off with a modern 6 saddle bridge? What are your experiences with intonating a 3 saddle job?

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Fender 62 RI bridge with 3 uncompensated threaded steel barrel saddles (period correct and well matched to the 62 pickups), and a Fender bridge on which I used compensated three barrel saddles.
No intonation issues with either setup.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
I’m not a builder, but have been playing a Tele for 40+ years. I have a 6 saddle on my old ‘78 Tele, but if I had to get another one, I’d go with a 3 way compensated. I think the stamped plate has a bit of positive tonal impact.

I’m not switching out but having thought about it that’s what I’d do.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
3 saddles in a heartbeat. But 100% get compensated saddles. Bunch of good ones out there. Intonation will be fine. I have a six saddle bridge on one and I hated it at first but learning to enjoy the difference in tone, but I have 3 saddle bridges on 3 others if that tells you anything. Some ppl prefer 6. Horses for courses and you won’t know until you try them all. Which is why we need more and more partcasters :)

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the vibe, looks and historicity of the 3-saddle bridges…but my favorite Telecaster has a 6-saddle bridge, so I guess I really don’t care, as long as it intonates properly…and—being a slide player—intonation is not my #1 concern about a guitar (as long as it’s not absolutely heinous).

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I don't have a preference, both my teles have 6-saddle bridges. But I have owned teles with 3-saddle compensated saddles, and that was also fine... they MUST be compensated tho, bad intonation is a big NO for me.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I prefer the aesthetic of the three barrel. One of mine has three threaded barrel steel saddles, and intonates closely enough at the 12th fret for rock'n'roll, but I use 'sweetened' tuning as intonation at the 12th doesn't mean it's spot on elsewhere.
My other has a three barrel with two stock brass saddles for E+A and b+e with D+g using a Wilkinson compensated brass as I couldn't get a decent balance on this one. The Wilkinson compensated gets around that. I still 'sweeten' things up, tuning wise, for the 'g' string.

My Strat has a six saddle bridge!, yay!, hoodafunkedit!. It too is set to 12th fret compliance, but needs a slight tweak of the 'g'

Three saddles bridges aren't the nightmare opponents proclaim them to be, nor are six saddles the panacea.

Whatever works for you is the correct choice.

Oh, pictures or it didn't happen :)