Question about AVRI ‘52 Tele Pick ups

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chino, May 2, 2019.

1. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually I am incorrect. On the bridge pickup there are three screws. One above and two below the pickup. The screw above the pickup will raise or lower the entire pickup. The two below raise or lower the end of the pickup where they sit.

2. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Wow, I’m so glad I joined this forum. So many great people here making me feel so welcome. And I’m learning so much! Thank you all. Now for the Big News: you guys are right; it is NOT a Pure Vintage, it’s one of the older ones, which makes its condition even more remarkable. I got it on eBay from a great seller and the description fit the Pure Vintage. I think it was an honest mistake on their part and it doesn’t matter anyway with a guitar like this. Of course, this also explains the pickup situation. So, without any further ado, here is the irrefutable proof! Now, if we could find out what year it is...

Attached Files:

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

4. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks so much, Jim! :)

5. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

You’re right. To be honest, I’ve always been a bit embarrassed about my utter lack of knowledge about fixing or modifying guitars. But you see, many years ago, I tried to work on a guitar; I had no idea what I was doing and I messed it up pretty badly and that experience at a young age was enough to scare me off tinkering with guitars forever lol.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks man I am thrilled to own this guitar! Pretty soon I will post the tragic tale of my lost love, my first Tele. ‘Tis sure to bring a tear to your eye. :(

7. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks Greg, I am pleased as punch to be here. :) She is a beauty, isn’t she? I think I’ll call her Avril. Get it? AVRI-L lol. I’m so clever sometimes haha.

8. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Congratulations! I hope you'll be feeling better and back to playing soon.

Chino likes this.
  9. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

2017?? I thought 2012 was the last year of the AVRIs. Now they have the American Original ‘52 Tele with a 12” radius neck. To me, that’s not a Tele.

10. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks so much, JayDee!

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi Chino, yes the mistery is solved. When I came back to the thread and saw the pic of the body I was pretty sure it was a 98-2012 AVRI like mine. As I noted on other threads, I A/Bd them pretty intensively before buying mine and it turned out that they’re basically the same guitar (including pickup-wise) except for
    - neck ever so slightly bigger on the newer series
    - finish which as others have pointed out shows less of the grain.
    I actually went with the older series because I prefer them.
    As for DIY: I’ve learned a lot and I’ve gotten up to reasonable skills for basic setups, but I still distinctly recall the time when just looking at the truss rod made me nervous. There’s no shame in taking it to a tech and have its wiring and pickups set up to your tastes. You have yet time to learn which things you can do entirely safely, like setting up pickup height, intonation and such things…
    I wish you speedy recovery in the company of your lovely guitars!
    Oh, and if you like 60s necks, may I recommend you check out a Baja 60s… yeah, I know, another tele ;D

Chino likes this.
  12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

PS: the AO 52 has a 9’5’’ radius. Hard to say which one between 7’25’’ and 9’5’’ is “vintage correct” as there was a lot of variation back in the day – but I sure like better the feel of a 7’25’’ and that’s why the modern Fenders I look at are just the AVs and the MIM Classic (with the exception of the aforementioned Baja 60… 9’5’’ but lovely vintage vibe!)

13. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

I have a G&L ASAT Standard which I modified with Rio Grande pickups that make it sound somewhat like a ‘52 Tele. Sweet guitar but it never felt like a Tele to me. Later I figured out that the neck radius was bigger (probably 9.5”). I’ve been missing that 7.5” neck ever since the catastrophe that befell my Tele, way back in the 70s.

14. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Here are my hospital companions. The little one is a Traveler Guitar Sonic 22 model. Sadly discontinued now but a surprisingly quality little guitar. Love them all, but Teles rule!

Attached Files:

Piggy Stu likes this.
  15. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

2012 was a change over year. 2012-2017 was the final year for the AVRI/AV series. The last iteration is referred to as AV, whereas prior ‘52s have the AVRI appellation. Essentially the same guitar with the aforementioned differences. All have a 7.25” neck radius.

Hope this clear it up for you.

Piggy Stu and Chino like this.
  16. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks. :) Yeah I see now that the ad I posted at the top of the thread says “American Vintage,” although it also says “Pure Vintage.” Great corporate strategy, confuse the heck out of your customers lol.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  17. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

When seen in this light, the guitar definitely shows signs of age. OK, so it’s not Pure Vintage and it’s not mint lol, but who cares?? It’s an awesome guitar!

Attached Files:

18. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Look through the case candy you got with the guitar for a wiring diagram. There should be a diagram to change it to modern wiring and the caps to be changed.

If it's an AVRI it will have the vintage wiring scheme, not the modern one that will be 1) Bridge, 2) Neck & Bridge, 3) Neck.

The vintage wiring will have a completely different wiring compliment. The easiest way is to unscrew the control plate and check the wiring against a modern wiring diagram.

Look into that before you start messing with pick-up height.

19. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Hey Teleplayr, thanks for your response. :) Yeah I hated to open the case candy bag after all these years but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Sure enough, the wiring diagram with the extra capacitor was in there. The guitar is definitely a pre 2012 AVRI and it definitely has the vintage wiring currently. It sounds exactly like the descriptions I’ve read. I’ve explained about the wiring scheme to my guitar tech and asked him to do this first, then see if the pickups sound fine without a height adjustment. He’s pretty good, knows what he’s doing. I’m also thinking of putting a set of 9.5s on it instead of 10s. To me, a Tele should be slinky.

20. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

The American Original '50s Telecaster (the newest iteration of this guitar) does not have a 12" radius fretboard, it is 9.5".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.