1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about adding a switch that "activates" a Capacitor

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WilburBufferson, Feb 7, 2020.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

So I did a little experimentation with cap values and found that with a 500K pot and X (don't remember the exact) value, with the tone rolled all the way down, it's almost as if the pickups are out of phase or something. Truly, it's a magical sound, though the tone is not rolled all the way down into "woman tone" territory.

My question is whether I can add a single switch to add this "preset" sound, or does it (also) depend on the interaction with the pot? I would like to be able to roll down the tone even more into muffled territory, but this one sound is cool enough on its own to justify its own switch.

naneek likes this.
  2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Hard to explain, but I once made a 5-pos treble bleed switch in a Tele. On a dinky breadboard, I put 4 caps of different values for the types of treble bleed that I liked best. There's a lot of variability in values.

In my setup, switch positions 1 and 2 would correspond to the switch you propose.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, you still want both cap and resistance, but it doesn't need to be variable resistance. Mark the point on the pot dial, remove pot from circuit, and meter the resistance. Replace pot with a resistor. Put both resistor and cap on a switch.

Si G X, WilburBufferson and SuprHtr like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

You can get little trimpots too - small variable resistors you can adjust with a screwdriver... so you can measure the pot value and adjust around it on the switched in circuit.

5. moosie

If you want to still use the tone pot normally, and then switch it / exchange it for the special tone, you can wire it like this, once you determine the resistor value from metering the pot.

Sorry for the HUGE drawing... :confused:

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 03.34.56 AM.png

2HBStrat likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What, exactly, is "woman tone"?

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

obviously not married...

8. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

A phrase that really gives this guy the creeps.

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Married 26 years to an awesome specimen of womanhood, and an awesome daughter. Care to try again?

10. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Women tone is like brown tone but more amber, less chocolate.

11. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

https://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/guitars-amps-and-related-equipment/woman-tone

12. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my lovely drawing of da 'ol two capper p/p tone pot. With a 250 KΩ pot, I would use a .022µF (blue) for normal, subtle tone shaping, then a .1 (top cap) for wah wah or da women job. Dark muddy stuff :

Attached Files:

13. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Moosie, thanks! Does it matter whether they are wired in series or parallel? I like the other suggestions of the push pulls, but I find them a little awkward to use in practice (I like things to sit flush).

14. moosie

Follow my diagram in post #5. That whole mess replaces your normal tone circuit (pot, cap). Taken as a unit, it still attaches to the volume pot as it normally would, and still goes to ground (to dump the highs).

The switch is a standard DPDT, which can be a mini-toggle, or a push-pull, however you want it. I was thinking perhaps you didn't want a p-p because you wouldn't want to be changing the tone setting inadvertently when you activate it.

The use is that your guitar works as normal, but flick the switch and your tone pot is now non-functioning (but still remembering where it was set before...). Instead, you have this fixed resistor, and the same cap as before. If you think about it, makes sense, because you found a sound you like somewhere on that pot dial. Using that cap. So, no need to use a different cap, just an appropriately valued resistor.

Here's a bit more complete diagram, showing it as a mini-toggle mounted between the pots. Still attach your pickup commons, and string ground, to pot shells, as you normally would.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 09.01.03 PM.png

15. moosie

To answer your specific question, a standard guitar tone circuit is a pot and cap in series. Taken as a unit, however, they are wired in parallel with the signal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.