1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about a Reverb ad

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Califiddler, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think Eric Johnson started it but it sounds like he either created or perpetuated the myth. I'd never heard about that before but I'm not an EJ fan. I've seen clips of Hendrix playing with no back plate. To me, the reasons for not putting the back plate back on are simple. For a gigging musician, convenience for new strings and set up/tweaks. Why waste time removing those 6 little screws every time? Not to mention, remove them and put them back 20 times and the screw holes are stripped out anyways, you can't put it back on if you wanted to..

SRHmusic, wabashslim and Steve Holt like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OH I KNOW what the cover is for!

Used to be bands had to war a tuxedo with the ruffled shirts, and those ruffles got stuck in the springs. If the guy used it for recording he didn't have the ruffles to contend with.

Could also relate to the TDPRI bumpched shrit concept too?

Danb541, tubegeek and Steve Holt like this.
  3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I take the back plate off my Strats because it's easier to change strings, and I think it looks and feels better. I don't use the trem and have it decked, so I'm not adjusting springs. But when you have it cranked down often the holes in the back plate don't line up well with the trem block, so you almost have to take the plate off to change strings.

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes, the circuits lose headroom and start to limit or clip sooner, affecting the harmonic content of the signal. At least, that might explain what you might be hearing. There are even pedalboard supplies with an option to emulate higher resistance or lower voltage batteries for this reason.
    Sure, why not? :D

5. guitararmy

guitararmy TDPRI Member

I always assumed that removing the back cover implied you were a serious guitar player...
    When Tom Anderson made the Grand Am series of super strats, he didn't even drill screw holes for a back cover, and finished the trem cavity.

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

Fender's Robert Cray model doesn't come with one either...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.