1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Question about a Reverb ad

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Califiddler, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Some people believe removing the backplate makes the guitar tone better.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They also set up the three springs so the outer ones are angled like that in order to sound like Jimi.

Riiiiiiiight

teletail likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he records in a lot of different tunings and needs to set it up a bunch? No idea.

gregulator450 likes this.
  5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, many people believe that removing the back cover "opens up" the tone. IIRC, Eric Johnson started that tone voodoo. If he didn't start it, he has done much to perpetuate it. He claims he hears a difference when the back plate is removed, and his signature strat doesn't even have holes drilled to install a cover. I refuse to argue with EJ's ears, but I don't believe anyone else when I hear them say it. I have spoken with several people who claim they hear a tonal difference; I 100% DON'T.

I leave the back covers off the tremolo-equipped guitars I have because it's less hassle to adjust floating bridges and change strings when those needs arise... aaaaand, I work on enough other people's guitars that I get a bit lazy with my own.

In reference to recording every day, the functional advantage would exist in its absence allowing for quicker string changes (if the owner likes to install fresh strings for every session). I would assume this because not every back plate's string access lines up with the string block. Or, like @artdecade said, maybe he has to perform frequent setups.

But, since this is the internet we absolutely can't give the owner of that strat the benefit of the doubt and must automatically assume he is chasing tone voodoo. ;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    SRHmusic, AlbertaGriff and tubegeek like this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

also if you are using the guitar professionally and daily it may require daily tweeking to get it just right for that session and its easier to keep the back off if he was monkeying around with it alot.

7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading an interview with him years ago where he said that he likes his batteries for certain pedals at a certain % used. If he can hear the difference between a battery 75% charged and 50% charged, more power to him.

scook, Skydog1010, Steve Holt and 2 others like this.
  8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I agree with what gregulator suggested - the prosaic reason for easy string changes. As for EJ's arcane tone convictions... He'd have been on a witch's ducking stool 400 years ago.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont have back plates on the Strats I have. Just because I dont want to mess with them really. Haven't needed to get in there for quite a while, but did while getting the springs where I want them. I would say at least 50% dont have them on, probably much more. Nothing to do with "tone" though! and yes, easier to change strings is the main reason I suppose.

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If Eric Johnson claims that an older run of red jazz III picks sounds different than a newer batch, that different battery charges change the sound of his pedals, and the backplate on a strat chokes the tone, I'm not going to refute that. Judging by how much time he has put into perfecting his sound (not to mention his technique and style) and how good it sounds, I can take that on faith from him. If anyone else says they can hear those things, I'll politely acknowledge that they're saying it and keep my opinion to myself.

Aaaand, we have successfully hacked this thread with tone nonsense. :lol::lol::lol:

SRHmusic and teletail like this.
  11. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I've noticed the same thing in some older transistor pedals with no voltage regulation or opamps. For instance my long-deceased Crown Fuzz-wah pedal.
    Does this mean I'm in EJ's league?

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My general feeling is that all the funny little cover plates Leo assumed we would want get removed by users who use the guitars.
    Maybe the seller also can't imagine why a buyer who plays the guitar would put the cover back on?
    The frequency of use might imply that he would put the cover on under conditions like a lawnmower or a boat you won't be using for months?

IDK what the back trem cover and Tele and Strat bridge covers are for really.

13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

EA436A07-DFC3-472B-996C-2A04934515B1.gif

wabashslim and Skydog1010 like this.
  14. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I took off the back plate on my first Strat because the Eric Johnson Strat was sold without one. And that's the Strat I really wanted but couldn't afford because I was in high school.

I keep removing Strat covers and building Strats without them (and not even drilling the holes) because I like it and I think it looks better and feels better. Tone? Nah. Not that I can detect.

If I sell a Strat and someone asks why there's no back plate I'll probably say, because I don't like the back plate and it's way cooler without it. That's it.

As for the springs being angled... Well that looks cool too!

15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure which is more pointless, not putting a backplate on the back of a Strat, or having a conversation about not putting the backplate on the back of a Strat.

However, I can categorically say that not having a conversation about not putting the backplate on the back of a Strat is more useful than putting a backplate on the back of a Strat.

Also, Eric Johnson. And batteries. Jeff Beck.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  16. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

But but but the additional moisture content from the humid air makes for a much muddier tone, whilst my discernment of sweet resonance from additional dry air sucking the moisture right out of the body...
    What a crock. I take them to get to the strings and springs for setups, pure and simple. Sounds like EJ needs to see a doctor, soon!

That's the naked truth. Too many moving parts on the strat but I love them. I think they are fugly too, but I still love them.

Naked springs block and claw, enjoy.
    DSCN0071.JPG

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

New thread idea: things that let the Mojo come out!

18. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Maybe he just needs some knirps.

19. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Everybody knows ...its to keep the Mojo from escaping. :twisted:

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I think if we want to get into a conversation of what's worth having a conversation about then you may find most of TDPRI is full of things not "worth" conversing about. I keep coming back though.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.