Question about 250k vs 500k pots

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Rocket Launcher, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher TDPRI Member

Good evening all,

I recently picked up 2010 Classic Vibe Squier and am planning on doing quite a lot of mods.

For pickups I have decided to go with a mini humbucker (DiMarzio PG-13) in the neck and a PAF humbucker (DiMarzio 36th Anniv F-spacing) in the bridge.

From what I read on this wonderful forum, it looks like I should probably replace the stock volume pot with a 500k pot.

Do I need to replace the tone pot as well?

Thank you all for your advice!

2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

as a rule of thumb, you want 500k with humbuckers and 250k with single coils. if you're switching them out, you really should do it to the volume AND tone control.

however, pickup manufacturers usually tweak their designs to sound best with the pots in the guitar they're meant for... so changing your pots might change their intended results. dimarzio has a great site full of tech help though... check to see what they recommend with your pickups!

also... and in my opinion most importantly... just go with 500k haha. you can always roll the treble back on your tone or your amp if it's got too much high end. but you can't roll it back in if a 250k is too muddy

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. Rocket Launcher

Thank you so much for the advice.
    I am adding a third pot to the control plate for the Graph Tech Ghost saddle tone control, so I still need to just use one volume and one treble pot for both pickups.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Instead of a third pot ... get a stacked tone pot that has a ring and tip knob set. You can find them on ebay/amazon.

5. Rocket Launcher

Ya know that's a darn good idea. I kind of like the look of the three knobs but I was going to have to add a mini switch between two of the knobs. A stacked pot would keep the look pretty clean. I am going with all black hardware (including pickups) so the less is more route might seem less cluttered.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.