Query about Marshall Origen 20: good Hendrix amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thunderbyrd, May 13, 2020.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

almost all my amp experience is with fender amps, but I like to fart around with Hendrix stuff. we all know Jimi was mostly about marshall amps, but his age was the early years of marshall. though I have next to no experience with marshalls, I do know that they have evolved into more complicated and diverse amps since Jimi's time. it's not the high-gain thing i'm after, but Jimi's cleans and mostly cleans.

ever since the origen amps have come out, I have been very curious about the 20 watt model. can that amp do the "early marshall clean-ish"thing? I have a real good 2x12 cabinet for it.

I think the only time I ever played through a marshall amp was a 2x12 combo in a shop - I played a strat clean into it and, Good Golly Miss Molly, it got that Hendrix tone so damn good. I have no idea what model it was, but it sounded GOOD.

those who have experience with this amp, tell me about it, please? and any issues with reliability?

there is a shop not too far away with these amps, but they are shut down, so I can't sample one. I was in that shop months ago and listened to a guy playing through one, but he was only about the high gain stuff. it sounded good enough on that, but that ain't my thing. I dig those marshall cleans.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

All Marshalls will do the drive thing. Compared to Fenders they tolerate much higher mids and bass which is where the magic is.

I don't have particular experience with Origins but clips suggest they get the same vibe easily.

Treble 4-6, lower if the amp's harsh, kids 7-9, bass 6-maxxed out.

I think the Origin comes with the somewhat basic Celestion. Celeston V type is not the worst speaker but a 10" Greenback would crank.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Origin = great. Pretty low gain as Marshall’s go.

What might not be apparent is how ****ing loud it is in that room. Might be fine if you are looking for a rehearsal or small room gig amp.

Home TV volume levels? Tough to replicate.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the 50H that I run through a 2x12. It’s my main gigging/band amp. In fact, it gets more use than two vintage amps I have because I like some of its features so much.

No reliability issues to report. I bought it used for a steal and have put many loud hours on it. I’ve read that the combos can have heat issues because of the way the chassis/tubes are positioned, but I can’t verify or dispute that.

Lots of tonal variation available with the EQ and Tilt controls. I find it’s a darker sounding amp compared to my others, but I rarely put the tilt control much past noon. Through my oversized 2x12 it’s a very full sound. Love the effects loop. I also think the power scaling is surprisingly decent. Better than the attenuator I have for sure. For home use it’s a decent option. Nonetheless, I think it shines when it’s loud.

Here’s what it’s not: it’s not a Plexi. Lots of people somehow decided it was before they bought it and were disappointed. Even running balls-our it’s a low gain thing. In my opinion that’s a good thing. It’ll stay clean or give you a great edge of breakup sound that you can push with your OD of choice. Bluesbreaker, Timmy, and various fuzzes are my favorite.

Jakedog and gimmeatele like this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

He also used a Fuzz Face through that Marshall to get those "Jimi" clean tones. Great fun. Makes you play much more "on the note" because it is a bit unforgiving, but I'm fairly new to them. Sounds less flubby through a Marshall.

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Weren't Marshall amps based on Fender circuits, with a little extra sauce thrown in ???

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@-Hawk- agree it’s not a high gain amp.

But with the Gain dimed and pulled mine is classic rock with single coils and guitar volume up. Plenty for me.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn’t say it’s enough for me just based off what we play, but definitely agree that there is plenty of crunch there for many folks.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Plexis aren't high gain amps. Jimi used all sorts of Roger Mayer pedals, Fuzzface Treble Booster for some of his tones. If you crank mids and bass you will start to get that grindy woody thick Marshall sound. Some of the breakup comes from Greenbacks sacrificing themselves for tone.

10. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

The first prototype was. By the time production started the circuit had changed…

rangercaster likes this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

OR20c will do the Marshall-clean thing in spades -- I did replace the stock speaker with a greenback 10, which gave it more low end. I play blues, pretty clean, driving the front end with a compressor, and I think it's a great little amp.

thunderbyrd and Jakedog like this.
  12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have the Origin 20 combo, like others I think its a great amp.

The pull gain I leave almost always on (out).

The power scaling is really, really good.

The "tilt" knob works really well to move from a dark to a bright tone.

I sold my DSL5 after a bit because I wasn't using it since the O20 arrived. Though I do regret that now, it had its own thing going.

I play quite a bit of Jimi and think it is the perfect sound with this amp.

It is definately a lower gain amp, as marshal goes, sitting perfectly in the classic rock genre.

I am yet to try the "Clean Fuzz" thing but will one day knuckle down and get that sorted.

Jakedog and RodeoTex like this.
  13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I also have an Origin 20 and love it. It is a lower gain Marshall, for sure. Very JTM45-ish. Which is based on the 5f6-a Bassman...

I have not attempted to get Jimi sounds, but I gave up chasing tones a while ago. But, I imagine it would work.

I know it behaves really well with all of the dirt pedals I have tried with it. I've used everything from a Tim (mild overdrive) to Fuzz Face and Tonebender Fuzzes with it.

You must also define which Jimi tone you are going for. In the studio, at least in the US, he was using Fenders a lot of the time, tweed and brownface Bassmans, and probably about anything lying around... Live he was using big Marshalls. Fender hadn't hit the 100 watt mark yet.

Jakedog, RodeoTex and Rufus like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.