1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quarter Pounder?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sothoth, Mar 17, 2013.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I was listening to the Seymour Duncan page for sound samples of various tele pickups. The Quarter Pounder sounded nice to me in the samples. Any feedback from an actual user? Hard to really know from a short sound clip. I also looked at the hot rails and the little '59. The hot rails is a bit too narrow in dynamic range for me, too narrowly focused in the mids. The little 59 also seemed cool but hope someone can give some feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. BadgerDBad

BadgerDBad Tele-Meister

got one in my mim and i dig it. Really powerfull so if you will be playing quite dirty then there is not much that can beat it.

3. arem

arem Tele-Meister

I have two Esquires, one with a QP and another that had a Lil '59, and I much prefer the QP. It's not a pickup for you if you're looking for traditional Tele tones, but if you want a raunchy rock pickup it's a good choice. The Lil '59 never really did much for me, it didn't sound bad but it didn't have enough personality for me either. I recently switched it out for one of Rob DiStefano's Cavalier Lion pickups, which I absolutely love so far. I like it even more than the QP for the kind of heavy fuzz sounds I play, I'm thinking about getting another Lion to replace the QP in my other Esquire.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What will work for you is mainly dependent upon what your looking to attain.

The QP is more on the P90 sort of thing. The Lil'59 is more PAF sounding.

5. sothoth

How's the QP for something like funk or jazz? I would like some versatility (hence my avoiding the hot rails, which seems kind of a one trick pony).

In the post about P90 vs PAF flavor, I think you refer to PAF as the original Seth Lover kind of early humbucker sound, right? I have never played on a P90 to fully get the comparison but have the Seth Lover on a refurbished Ibanez HSS. Love the Seth Lover. Would like something different on this guitar, so that's good.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They are loud, and VERY mid-rangey.
    I couldn't stand it, and took it right out.
    They are the only Duncan pickup I ever tried that
    I did not like, at all.
    Just sayin'.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Great hard rock/blues p/up. The "Hot for Tele" is too. I like the neck '59 micro for Strats. Remember theres a tapped version for more trad tone alone, plus series combos. I'm putting together a Strat w one and I use the Tap to Hot wires for p/up series combos, so its 3 p/ups in one, if you do series.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I liked the quarter pounder a lot in a Tele, the same model in Strat didnt sound as good to me. Even tho Blackmore supposedly liked them for awhile.

The lil 59er is good too, darker and warmer.

SixgunElectric likes this.
  9. sothoth

You mean the QP had too much mid? Seymour Duncan has them listed as 9/5/9 (bass/mid/treb) which means they SHOULD be kinda the opposite. I don't like stuff too focused on the mids either, so I get where you're coming from.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I don't find it mid heavy at all.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love the Quarter Pounder, but I use the tapped version, STL-3T. My Esquire is set up with the tone pot wired to fade between the tap ands the full coil.

I find the full coil to be very fat, great for driving dirt boxes, but it can get lost in a band mix. I use a 250K volume pot; a lot of people use a 500K with the QP to brighten it up.

The tap position is clearer and cuts better. It's not a true Tele twang, but it's close. I use the tap (or an in-between position) for most rhythm parts, and turn it up to full coil for the solo.

12. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Then you want QP tapped version with P-rails in the neck. I suggest using 500k pots. You can also get some versatility from Nocaster - '59 or JD - Jazz. You get funk in the middle and jazz in the neck from these sets. Nocaster and JD can still rock but won't be as powerful as QP (full mode) though.

13. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Might be the best decision I ever made, changing the AlnicoII for the QP in my neck. I did it to match the output of the Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and it does. I wanted something that had a higher output, for blues, rock, and blues-rock:)lol:), but still sounded like a single coil. It does. I think it's worth the money, and it don't take much, but for jazz? I don't really do much of that, but seems like it'd be a little hot.

14. DCtwanger

DCtwanger TDPRI Member

Had the QP in my bridge. Was loud and rocked but did not twang. Replaced it with Twang King which has plenty of kick.

15. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

The QP and Duncan Hot Tele sound like over the top tele pickups on steroids.

The lil' 59 sounds like a big mushy, muffled humbucker and sounds and feels nothing like a tele in the slightest IMO. I have had a couple lil' 59's over the years and don't have any now. It's fun with a tube amp on "11" getting pinch harmonics, but for anything less than that, it's flat and blah sounding.

In my flamethrower tele I have a Duncan Hot Tele (with a big '59 bucker in the neck) and have thought about a QP for a beastly Squier Esquire that I have.

George

16. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Thought there were some people that didn't like them, and yanked them out after trying them in their guitar. :confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.