1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quarter Pounder for the bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Happy Enchilada, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada TDPRI Member

I am building a Tele from scratch. I have a gorgeous curly maple body, a nice semi-fat neck, and a few other assorted geegaws. Like a Pearly Gates for the neck - but I need to decide on a bridge pickup, and I'm leaning toward the SD Quarter Pounder.

I already have a butterscotch blackguard with SD Hot Teles in it that does the "traditional Tele" thing in spades. This new guitar will be more of a rock beast. What I want from this bridge pickup is something that will cut through the mix when I turn it up and add some distortion, and then mellow out to almost the "traditional" thing when I back off on the gas.

So does anyone out there have experience with the Quarter Pounder in the bridge? Or any suggestions on something else that might do what I'm looking for here? Thanks!

Arfage likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Quarter Pounder is a loud, and very mid-rangey pickup, IMO.
    They sound like a loud P90.
    I'm not a fan, but lots of people are.

4pickupguy, hrstrat57 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  3. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I had one, actually had the set and it wasn't twangy but they kicked butt. Put in Fender Originals which were pretty good but I still miss having the nice full bridge tone. Not Fenderesque but still good. When I changed them out my drummer immediately noticed because he had in ear monitors. He kind of looked at me funny and asked if I had changed anything. He liked the Quarter Pounders!

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have one and if you like the tone of a P-90 that will fit into a tele stamped bridge, it may be your kind of pickup. Like the others have said, it is a rocker.

cyclopean likes this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love the Quarter Pounder, but it's a loud, fat pickup. By all means, spend the extra few bucks and special-order an STL-3T tapped Quarter Pound. The tap provides a second, very useable tone that's not quite Tele twang, but it closer than the full-on beast. The tapped QP with a pot to fade between the tap and the full coil is a great setup.

Damn, I miss having that setup. I need to build another Tele.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've been thinking of getting a neck one for my CVC Squier, as the stock is pretty awful.

7. Happy Enchilada

Thanks for the tip! I was definitely thinking about coil tapping the bridge in this one anyway ... so this will make that fast.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DIFFERENT pickup that might work for what I seek? Like Ross Perot, I'm all ears!

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Hot Rails can split and parallel/series switch..

9. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Used the quarter pounders once...and didn't like them. I found them muddy.

10. Happy Enchilada

Do you prefer the Hot Rails sound over the Quarter Pounder? Explain qualitative and quantitative differences.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

the quarter pounder is very dark, unless it is tapped. I find it a bit dead. I have one in the bridge of my strat for strong distorted leads, clean it is a bit meh.... My number one though has a Hot Rails bridge with a split switch. It has more upper mids than the QP and has a strong SC type tone when spilt. You also have a parallel option too with rails. Mine are seymour duncan but Kent Armstrong rail versions I’ve had before are a bit grittier IME.

Both are much darker than the broadcaster type strength pickup. Personally I prefer the rails for the versatility. I don’t have a tapped QP to compare but that could be a good option too.

You basically trade sparkle and presence for more powerful mids and lows. If i want ‘more of everything’ I prefer to boost a low wind pickup with an MXR microamp.. i’ve used one for decades.

eddiewagner likes this.
  12. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I have a quarter pounder (bridge) paired with a Duncan P90 (neck). 500k pots. Love it.

Sax-son likes this.
  13. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

I have a Telecaster with Duncan a Quarter Pounder bridge paired with a Duncan Jazz neck. 500k pots and it’s a “Rock Machine”... Not much on the “Twang” in this setup. I have another Telecaster for that tone...

14. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

It will not sound like a tele anymore. I like it a lot for Strats. Nocaster pups are better if you shoot for rich and fat twang imho.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    One I tired didn't work out for me, tired a set in a strat too...just didn't work anywhere I put them.

Your ears may think otherwise. But it won't Tele.

16. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Yes, get the tapped model. A friend has been using one in his Tele for many years, works great for rock and then more laid back material when the tap is engaged.

I used one in a Strat for a few years, untapped. Eventually switched it out for a full size humbucker. I really liked the QP, but I wasn't playing clean.

At some point I put a Dimarzio Chopper T in a Tele, had a switch to go between series and parallel. Series yielded a great rock sound,e, parallel yielded a spanky Tele like sound. I preferred the Chopper T over the QP, but that's just me.

KATT likes this.
  17. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

I put one in my Classic Vibe Esquire (picked it up from the shop today after set-up and install). So far so good but will know Friday when I have the house to myself for a few hours!

18. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I had a set in a tele and didn’t like the bridge. Not because I’m a tele purist but because the bridge pickup was muddy. I didn’t find it P90 ish but I can see where people make that comparison.

On the other hand, I liked the neck pickup. But it sounds like, unless you want to use a router on yours, that’s not an option :)

19. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I tried the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound few weeks ago and i didn't like it at all.
    Muddy, lifeless, boring. All the Tele Magic was gone.

Now i have a Roswell Quarter Pound (also in the neck) and i love it.
    Exactly the sound that i was hoping for.
    More power, more mids, keeps the highs and the twang.

https://roswellpickups.com/product/te6-b/

Big-Mag.jpg

zippofan likes this.
  20. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I love mine -- it's not classic Tele but a great thick tone that hits the front end of an amp hard. You can get more top end by putting in a treble bleed that allows for a bit of sparkle when backing off the volume for cleaner tones. Works great for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.